Question HELP NEEDED - SOLIX 12 G2 - MEGA 360 NOT DETECTING 360

Hi all, I need some help. I purchased a new Solix 12 Mega SI G2 and a Mega 360 transducer. My Solix unit is up to date with v3.64 software. I have the Solix SI transducer and the Mega 360 transducer hooked up utilizing the 720108-1 Y cable as instructed by Humminbird. The problem is, my Solix will not recognize the 360 unit at all. I have nothing relating to the 360 in any menu options or views. I have double checked my install, power, etc., and even bypassed the Y connector and hooked the Mega 360 directly to the Solix, and still nothing. Just to make sure the Mega 360 unit was not bad, I took it off, and hooked up to my brothers Helix, and the unit is working fine. (He also has the Mega 360 with a Helix unit). I know the Mega 360 unit works, but my Solix won't recognize it at all. I cant verify anything to do with the Mega 360, because the unit is not recognizing it at all. I really need some help on this, as I have spent hours on the phone with Humminbird support with no results.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

2. Member
    Sometimes it is something simple that is overlooked.....

First, the SI transducer will not work with the M360, and the M360 needs those circuits for itself. The SI transducer with the Y cable essentially becomes a DI transducer. You will never get it to work as an SI while the Y cable and 360 are connected.
    Second, Did you update the M360 software too?
    Third, it sounds like you may have had the SI transducer already configured on the system, so you will likely have to go into your menus and "forget" that transducer and tell it you have a M360 connected.

I just changed over from Lowrance to Solix 12's with M360, and had only minor issues with interfacing. On the bow its a M360 and DI ducer to one 12, and on the dash its a SI/DI and 2D ducers to the 12 on the dash.

Finally, I do not know all the correct part numbers from memory, but are you certain that that is the correct Y cable? There are 2 out there, and I needed one of each to set up my system.

Wayne P. would have all the info and knowledge to help you, as he did me and countless others here.

Last thought for you to consider if you have not done so already.... Make sure you use a 10/2 marine power cord to feed the Solix from your battery with the proper fuse in line, they are indeed finicky. Even though I had 10/2 already run in the boat, it was not a true marine power cable and had less strands in it, in theory, it should have worked, but did not until I put in some good marine cable.

Might want to double check your power supply to the M360 is hot.

Hi Darrell, thanks for your reply. My setup on this front unit is the Solix 12 MSI G2. I have the SI transducer and the M360 with the Y cable. The Y cable is the 720108-1 14-M360-2Ddi-Y. My Solix has the most updated 3.64 software. As far as updating the M360 software, I did download the software (1.07) from Humminbird and tried to install it, but the unit doesn't recognize that update, so I assume it already has that software. It's been my experience on updates, that the unit will only recognize updates that are not already on the unit. On my unit, I can't do anything in the menu's relating to the M360, because there are no options anywhere in there relating to a M360. I have took my M360 off my boat and hooked up to my brothers Helix 12, and the M360 unit works, so I know its not a bad transducer. I have tested the power and am getting power. My Solix will power up fine, but just doesn't recognize the M360 at all. I have even bypassed the Y cable and hooked the M360 directly to the Solix, and still nothing. It is like it doesn't detect it at all. At this point, I am almost certain it is a head unit problem. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Humminbird, with no results. They are indicating they need me to sent the unit to them.

As it relates to the power, I am using the Power/Ground that was factory installed in my Triton for the bow unit. Voltage on the head unit is showing good power, and I have tested the power going to the M360 at the last cable connection going to the M360, and voltage seems good.

On My Helm Solix 12, I have the SI transducer, a In-Hull puck transducer model #XP-14-20, and a 14 M SIDB Y Cable. On this unit, I cant get down imaging or any depth on this Solix unit. I am having problems at both ends....

Lastly, what interference problems were you having, and what resolution did you find. My brothers M360 with his Helix unit has bad interference problems.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

It will be a pain in the neck because of the power cable, but I would test your Solix unit with your brother's M360 before I sent it in.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBustingDave View Post
    Hi Darrell, thanks for your reply. My setup on this front unit is the Solix 12 MSI G2. I have the SI transducer and the M360 with the Y cable. The Y cable is the 720108-1 14-M360-2Ddi-Y. My Solix has the most updated 3.64 software. As far as updating the M360 software, I did download the software (1.07) from Humminbird and tried to install it, but the unit doesn't recognize that update, so I assume it already has that software. It's been my experience on updates, that the unit will only recognize updates that are not already on the unit. On my unit, I can't do anything in the menu's relating to the M360, because there are no options anywhere in there relating to a M360. I have took my M360 off my boat and hooked up to my brothers Helix 12, and the M360 unit works, so I know its not a bad transducer. I have tested the power and am getting power. My Solix will power up fine, but just doesn't recognize the M360 at all. I have even bypassed the Y cable and hooked the M360 directly to the Solix, and still nothing. It is like it doesn't detect it at all. At this point, I am almost certain it is a head unit problem. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Humminbird, with no results. They are indicating they need me to sent the unit to them.

As it relates to the power, I am using the Power/Ground that was factory installed in my Triton for the bow unit. Voltage on the head unit is showing good power, and I have tested the power going to the M360 at the last cable connection going to the M360, and voltage seems good.

On My Helm Solix 12, I have the SI transducer, a In-Hull puck transducer model #XP-14-20, and a 14 M SIDB Y Cable. On this unit, I cant get down imaging or any depth on this Solix unit. I am having problems at both ends....

Lastly, what interference problems were you having, and what resolution did you find. My brothers M360 with his Helix unit has bad interference problems.

"As it relates to the power, I am using the Power/Ground that was factory installed in my Triton for the bow unit. Voltage on the head unit is showing good power, and I have tested the power going to the M360 at the last cable connection going to the M360, and voltage seems good."

I thought the same too with the 10/2 installed in my 2018 Skeeter, but what was installed was a low strand count cable, and caused voltage drop issues as the day went on. I would start the day all good with good readings, and within 2 hours would start getting low voltage alarms and glitches in the software (would not change screens, not recognize all transducers, not recognize map cards, etc) and would require a reboot of the unit. it happened on both units. about 4 hours in, on top of the other issues, cranking the main engine would shut off the dash unit (and the bow unit sometimes, even in standby). I finally ran new 10/2 marine grade high strand count cables to each unit from my battery distribution (after the battery cut off switch, but before the power and breaker panels). Since that time, no more issues. It has to do with what we call "skin effect" in the electronics and communication industry I am in. The electrical current (not voltage) flows more on the surface of the individual strand, than in the center, so the more surface area you have, the more current the cable will be able to handle before inducing a voltage drop due to heat (resistance) of the cable. a .2 -.3 drop does not sound significant in most cases, but to these units, it is.

"On my unit, I can't do anything in the menu's relating to the M360, because there are no options anywhere in there relating to a M360. I have took my M360 off my boat and hooked up to my brothers Helix 12, and the M360 unit works, so I know its not a bad transducer. I have tested the power and am getting power. My Solix will power up fine, but just doesn't recognize the M360 at all. I have even bypassed the Y cable and hooked the M360 directly to the Solix, and still nothing."

Before sending it in, I would do this (again). This time disconnect all transducers (and network cables if applicable), Factory default the unit, connect only the 360, then power it up and let it auto configure the system again, like a brand new install. On boot up, it should ask about configuring the system if my memory is correct. If it does not, then you still have a configuration stored in the unit, and that configuration could be bad. I would do this before sending it in, but that is me.

"I have the SI transducer and the M360 with the Y cable. The Y cable is the 720108-1 14-M360-2Ddi-Y."
    Your SI portion of the transducer WILL NOT be used. The M360 uses those wires and circuits. This could be an issue where the unit is seeing and configuring the SI transducer, and not the 360 in the configuration portion, hence not recognizing the 360. That is why I advise to reconfigure the system with only the 360 connected. If the unit does recognize the 360 then, you know it is not the control head, but a configuration problem. I have not installed a SI transducer and 360 via a Y on my units, I used a DI CHO display and a DI transducer with the 360. This could be your issue, and worth verifying multiple times before sending your unit in.

"I have spent countless hours on the phone with Humminbird, with no results. They are indicating they need me to sent the unit to them. "
    They have very good support, but they are not perfect. They are only as good as the information we are giving them on the phone or email.

"On My Helm Solix 12, I have the SI transducer, a In-Hull puck transducer model #XP-14-20, and a 14 M SIDB Y Cable. On this unit, I cant get down imaging or any depth on this Solix unit. I am having problems at both ends...."

Ah, 2 Solix units, I assume networked as well. Check your global settings, and "sync" options. I made a booboo on mine initially, and it would take the configuration from the helm unit and put it on the bow unit, luckily that was before my M360 arrived, so I had that "overwrite" issue figured out before hand, and it did not bite me when I installed the 360.

"Lastly, what interference problems were you having, and what resolution did you find. My brothers M360 with his Helix unit has bad interference problems."
    When installing the Solix units, prior to power up and operation for the first time, I installed the choke filter on my precision charger (cranking battery). I verified my shield grounds (I did not connect them to the negative battery lead. Just made sure they were isolated 9tapped up and not touching another cable or ground) at the "sensor" end and connected at the unit end) and , used solder connections and waterproof heat shrink where possible, and water resistant connectors and silicone grease where soldering was not possible (including the Humminbird connectors, just don't overdo the grease or IT will be the problem). The control head unit "should" provide for internal grounding of the shield ground as appropriate. They do in my industry, radars, radios, sat coms, etc.
    With those precautions, I have been VERY fortunate to not have experienced any interference issues. Did what I do at installation ensure no interference? I don't really know, but I know it helped, and maybe I am just one of the lucky ones on that.

Take this for what it is worth, I am no expert with the Birds, and learned tons from the people here by reading and keeping an open mind. Well mostly open anyway, I did not believe what I was told about the power cables at first.... learned that lesson. LOL.
    Again, I cannot express enough of a shout out to the experienced people on this board for their help. Read many of the post, you can figure out who they are.

Finally, while there are no stupid questions, sometimes there appears to be stupid answers. I don't charge for those answers... only the dirty looks I give.. LOL
    Good Luck, once you have all the bugs worked out, you will be amazed with those units!!!

All, I just wanted to follow up, as so many times folks forget to follow up on these issues. It all turned out that this was the new Solix unit that was the problem. Once that unit was replaced, the new unit detects the 360 transducer as it should. I think Humminbird has no quality control on the products they are sending out, as I have found many other posts on various sites with the same problem and same resolution.

8. Member
    I had the same problem with a Helix 10 Gen 3 with DI. The DI and the 2D worked great but the Helix did not recognize the 360. Turned out the Helix had a bad circuit board that had to be replaced byHumminbird.

Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I had the same problem with a Helix 10 Gen 3 with DI. The DI and the 2D worked great but the Helix did not recognize the 360. Turned out the Helix had a bad circuit board that had to be replaced byHumminbird.
    Yes, bad circuit board is what they told me the problem was. The reason they replaced my whole unit, is because they lost my brand new Solix unit. When I received my unit back, it was not my Solix unit. They had shipped me someone's Helix unit, and couldn't tell me where my Solix unit was.