Mercury 250 ProXS 4S - Oil Leak

<2B597335> Been noticing an oil leak. It is motor oil from the crank, not lower unit oil. It is coming out of the small port above the back of the prop, possibly elsewhere. I have a feeling this isn't good.. Any thoughts? I will be taking it in asap...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-09-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

2. Member
    Mine did the same thing same place. It was overfilled. There are plenty of threads on here where the correct level should be. If overfilled it will leak.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2022 Mercury 225 4s 3B133405

3. Member
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP

Thanks Dave, I would like to think that is the problem. But It has been a while since the oil was changed and I have just now started seeing the leak. If it is because of being overfilled, is it possible to see where the oil coming from? I will also pull the cowl and check the oil level.What scares me, is I recently had an overheat alarm at idle because the water pump housing gasket blew out. The alarm, only came on twice, for about 3-4 seconds while idling the first time and while motoring back to the ramp the second. Worried I may have a new leak as a result. Didn't notice the leak until after that incident...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

5. Member
    Ok more info, probably best to have it checked by a certified tech.
    2022 Phoenix 919 Pro XP

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KCLOST View Post
    Been noticing an oil leak. It is motor oil from the crank, not lower unit oil. It is coming out of the small port above the back of the prop, possibly elsewhere. I have a feeling this isn't good.. Any thoughts? I will be taking it in asap...
    Please be sure to review the Forum Announcements, and provide the REQUIRED Info (serial number) with your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Ok, motor serial number is BUJ83362L919..Dealer has inspected the motor, the oil leak is coming from the top of the block from "a" crank shaft seal. This same seal was replaced via recall last fall, but apparently this is a possible recurring problem. My leak is significant enough to require replacement of the flywheel and belt as well. Inside of cowl and motor is coated...
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That happens to be the Hull ID number (not engine serial).

Sounds like they're on top of the seal replacement (and related components that may have been oil contaminated).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

"That happens to be the Hull ID number (not engine serial)."

Damn...wrote down the wrong one, lol..

2B597335
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team