Live Well fills up

In my new Z18 which has a live well control valve, the live well fills up anytime we put the boat in the water whether or not the control valve is open or closed. What could cause that?

When in reverse water will push through the over flows and the water intake, also when setting down it is possible water trickles in from the pump out ports, you can plug the pump outs with small livewell plugs, and the over flows with something from Home Depot/Lowe's/ menards, it's like a 1 7/8" rubber stopper in the plumbing section, and I can turn my fill nozzle closed.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    I took apart my control valves and cleaned them out. Fixed the problem.

Make sure the cable is attached to the switch correctly. You have to remove them to see it. U can manually operate the cable at this point.

You can test this while the boat is on the trailer, if its letting in water it should also be having a problem holding water.

As mentioned above the valves can get jammed with junk, And as mentioned above hard reversing will force water in.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Anyone know the specifics on the livewell plug? I recently bought a 2015 Z7 and the livewell was filling. Different system, but I think same/similar problem... in my case there is no plug for the drain. I'd like to know where I can get one?!?

6. Member
    Z18 you have to install plug in bottom of live well to close the drain or you will have water every time
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by GreenScrew View Post
    Anyone know the specifics on the livewell plug? I recently bought a 2015 Z7 and the livewell was filling. Different system, but I think same/similar problem... in my case there is no plug for the drain. I'd like to know where I can get one?!?
    My z8 I stopped at a mom and pop tackle shop, took out 10 different livewell plugs and plugged each port and then bought what I needed. Then menards for rubber stoppers, bought 3 different sizes, went out figures it out, returned 2, bought a second correct one.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    After discussion with local Tracker guy, I opened the live well during our last outing. Dry until I put motor in reverse, then water came flooding in from the aerator port. Turns out, forcing water toward the boat will fill a live well. No issues with Live well control valve, pumps, or leaks.