Jump Starter Concern

I have a Weego 44 to use for jump starting my Mercury 250 Optimax. I've used it 3 times in 2 years and always kept it charged - at least I thought so. I went to use it yesterday, first time this year, after charging it 2 months ago and only had 3 out 5 lights lit (60% charge capability). Needless to say, it didn't work. How many charges are you supposed to get with these? I plugged it into re-charge it last night and 4 lights are lit and the 5th light still flickers after 24 hours. When I unplug it and turn it on, only 3 lights are lit, not all 5. Is this what I should expect with this or should this fully charge after it's used and I re-charge it? Is a Weego 44 too small for charging my boat battery? Thanks.

2. Member
    For $15 more you could have bought the more (most) powerful one. Anyhow, things go bad. Maybe it went bad, it's just some Lithium cells and a charging circuit. Since it did not work, it might be time for a different one. Also, it was used in a marine environment. Some things don't like a marine environment.

3. Banned
    Why not install a simple and permanent solution? All you need is 1 black battery cable, 2 red battery cables, and a perko on/off switch. Using the last trolling motor battery in your series (furthest from trolling motor), connect this battery to your starting battery in parallel with the perko switch between the positive leads. When you need a jump, turn the switch to on, start your motor, and turn the switch off.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryFL View Post
    Why not install a simple and permanent solution? All you need is 1 black battery cable, 2 red battery cables, and a perko on/off switch. Using the last trolling motor battery in your series (furthest from trolling motor), connect this battery to your starting battery in parallel with the perko switch between the positive leads. When you need a jump, turn the switch to on, start your motor, and turn the switch off.
    This is what I did EXCEPT I used 2 NEGATIVE cables and 2 switches. In theory you are not supposed to get electrolysis when you share the negative terminals BUT I have seen it multiple times. If you use 2 switches, you COMPLETELY isolate your cranking battery from your trolling battery until you need it. You also need to connect the cables to the battery which has the TROLLING motor negative lead connected to it. When you need to jump your motor, flip the NEGATIVE switch 1st then the Positive switch next. Once the motor is started, turn off the POSITIVE switch 1st then the Negative switch. This reduces your chance of blowing electrical diodes and regulators.

I also had a Weego go bad after 2 or 3 years. I carry a portable battery in each of my vehicles and always check them every 6 months but the last time i went to top it off, it had swollen and cracked the case. I do still carry a portable battery jump starter and jumper cables. I know it's overkill but I don't want to be stranded when it's time to get back. I have only had to use my "built in" jumper system one time but it worked perfectly and literally only took me a few seconds to use.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike