Thread: What prop

What prop

Hey all, what prop are you guys running on an RT188 with a 115 Proxs? My dad is running a 19P Power tech and thinks its to big. 3 blade. Thoughts?

2. Member
    Non command thrust lower unit and I run a 20 Laser on my 115 ProXS 4S.

3. Member
    I run a 19" X7 Spitfire and a 20" Laser II. Mounted in the 3rd hole, the X holds like the boat is on rails. I only have to bump the trim down in the turns. The Laser gives a better hole shot and a couple MPH, but does not lift the stern or handle like the X. I tried a PowerTech 20" and 19" and didn't like them at all. Only turned 5200.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

4. Member
    he's going to try something lighter/smaller, I think that PT 19 is to big and heavy.

5. Member
    This just gets more weird. So I spoke with a very reputable mechanic who suggested I put an aluminum prop on this motor (WTH?) as the gears in this motor aren't really sturdy enough to turn a big steel prop over time and then I spoke to the owner of a very reputable marine repair shop who many say is the best in the area and he said these mtors really don't need to turn more than 5400-550 RPM becasue once above that they can develop some serious issues. At this point I don't know what to think. He told me and my dad to just jeep the PowerTech 19 on it and keep the RPM's low. What the heck man? We don't know what to think now.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CancerKiller View Post
    This just gets more weird. So I spoke with a very reputable mechanic who suggested I put an aluminum prop on this motor (WTH?) as the gears in this motor aren't really sturdy enough to turn a big steel prop over time and then I spoke to the owner of a very reputable marine repair shop who many say is the best in the area and he said these mtors really don't need to turn more than 5400-550 RPM becasue once above that they can develop some serious issues. At this point I don't know what to think. He told me and my dad to just jeep the PowerTech 19 on it and keep the RPM's low. What the heck man? We don't know what to think now.

I genuinely disagree with those statements about the gears not being strong enough. Don in the Mercury 4-stroke forum would be a great person to talk to about the proper RPM range for the new 115 four strokes. Everything we've seen recommends the rpms up around 6000.

I'm creeping up on 100 hours on my 115 Pro XS and it lives in the 5800-6200 rpm range with no issues. The motor was designed to be ran up to 6300.

Try the Laser II if you have the standard gear case. If you have the Command Thrust lower unit, try to get your hands on a 19" Tempest.
    2020 Prodigy 19' Center Console
    Mercury Pro XS 115 CT
    Atlas 6" Hydraulic JP
    https://www.facebook.com/prodigyboat...type=3&theater

7. Member
    It's a 2013 ProXS 115, stock gear case - it was odd to get those 2 opinions.

8. Member
    i just posted a spitfire x7 19 props for sale like new ran 20 hrs