MinnKota heading sensor

All the documentation I can find says the heading sensor enables the "Spot-Lock Jog" function.
    Is that all it is good for or is it required for some other i-Pilot Link functions?

2. Member
    It is primarily only for Spot-Lock Jogging. If you have a Link model networked with compatible Humminbird units, you can use it as a GPS/Heading source.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

3. Member
    If I don’t install the heading sensor. Will spot lock still work normally. And I just will not have the jog feature.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyfish510 View Post
    If I don’t install the heading sensor. Will spot lock still work normally. And I just will not have the jog feature.
    Correct

5. Member
    PJ have you actually done that and are satisfied with all functions of the trolling motor? kd why don't you want to install the HS? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    PJ have you actually done that and are satisfied with all functions of the trolling motor? kd why don't you want to install the HS? Bob
    I swapped an ultrex onto my boat to get by for a tourny when the normal boat we used was down. If you are going to link the TM with humminbird units I would install it so that you can use follow the contour functions and go to waypoint functions.

7. Member
    I was asking as it is my feeling it is used more than just on jog. I had ipilot link 5 years before I upgraded to a bluetooth motor. Everything works better that uses any kind of directional guidance. Bob

8. Member
    I have had two Ultrex units on two boats. On each of them, I ran the troller without hooking up the heading sensor for about a month. Supposedly, it improves spot lock as well as allowing follow the contour function. I did not notice any difference on functionality of spot lock, with, or without the sensor.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    I run mine without the heading sensor.

10. Member
    cat and Brent, Do you use spot lock Jog? Or any of the follow type features?(if you have ipilot link) Do you use advanced autopilot? Bob

11. Member
    All I use it for is spot lock. You would need the heading sensor for the jog or contour following function.

12. Member
    As I mentioned, I used it without heading sensor for about a month, and noticed no diff with spot lock after hooking it up. It is connected now, and I use advanced auto pilot a lot, but never use jog or contour. On my next rig, if I get another Ultrex, I may not even install the sensor.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    According to the manual, Advanced Autopilot uses compass heading. I assume that comes the Heading Sensor unless there's another source internally. Not sure how much of a difference it makes because I haven't tried without it and might depend on strength of opposing forces like current, winds, waves.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

14. Member
    There is still a compass in the controller. There is a routine to sync them. If you turn the head while using adv autopilot the heading cursor moves before the boat gets on the heading We may never know what the puck does other than jog direction. Bob

15. Member
    Thanks for that info Bob.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

16. Member
    The heading sensor has to be installed to enable the jog feature. That being said, the spot lock still works with out the HS. The HS enhances the spot lock, which means the motor doesn't have to "hunt" as much to return to position.
    John