Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need help MN fishing please......

So my buddy and I are heading to Waconia MN to visit a friend we haven’t seen in couple years and taking the bass boat. He doesn’t smallmouth fish and that’s all we want to do although we have no idea where to go and how to locate them. We don’t care if it’s a 100 acre pond or a 10,000 acre lake we want to catch a bunch of smallies and some large ones too if possible. He said Mills Lac but that is 2 hours from his house. Does anyone know of a honey hole close to his area for smallies? I know this is considered your trash fish lol but that’s what we want to fish for. He isn’t really a help because he doesn’t fish or have fishing friends so we are going in extremely blind. Please help we will be up there the 13th I believe for about 5 days.

2. Member
    Go over and fish St. Croix river. Put in at Prescott, WI. Go north and fish the banks. You will catch some.

3. Member
    You could also try Koronis, to the west.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/index.html

4. Member
    I know it’s two hours away but the trip to Mille Lacs is worth the drive if you’re looking for exceptional smallies in both size and numbers. The fishing up there isn’t “easy” but it’s memorable. Just my two cents. The St.Croix and Mississippi can be good for small mouth but size is hit and miss. Minnetonka is worth a visit for all around good Largemouth and scenery but go during the week....
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
    I know this is considered your trash fish lol but that’s what we want to fish for.
    ?
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    I know it’s two hours away but the trip to Mille Lacs is worth the drive if you’re looking for exceptional smallies in both size and numbers. The fishing up there isn’t “easy” but it’s memorable. Just my two cents. The St.Croix and Mississippi can be good for small mouth but size is hit and miss. Minnetonka is worth a visit for all around good Largemouth and scenery but go during the week....
    What he said!

7. Member
    So if we head to Mille Lac can anyone suggest place to stay that is close to good fishing, doesn’t break the bank for 3-4 guys

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    ?
    I mean he's not really wrong if you ask anyone other than bass fishermen in MN.....

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drscholl14 View Post
    I mean he's not really wrong if you ask anyone other than bass fishermen in MN.....
    its all a pecking order in terms of preference...I personally have never heard any walleye fishermen call smb a trash fish.

Also, if you believed this to be true...then saying this on “BASS” boat central seems to be a bit misplaced. They are an amazing fish to hunt, fight, and catch.

anywho....

to the OP...use the DNR lake finder. On this page you will find a map that shows the geographic location of where smallmouth have been surveyed.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/bass/index.html

Mille lacs is your best bet for trophy smb. Might be some decent places to stay around garrison or just north of there. Good luck.

10. Member
    I would try and support these businesses and resorts while up there, as they are fighting to keep ML as a world class smallie fishery!

https://millelacssmallmouthalliance.com/our-partners/

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    I would try and support these businesses and resorts while up there, as they are fighting to keep ML as a world class smallie fishery!

https://millelacssmallmouthalliance.com/our-partners/
    Thanks for this link...any idea if the free print for catch and release of 21+ is still live and available?

12. Member
    It is still available if you’re a SMA member or join when you put in for the print. To be a member you just have to donate $20- to as much as you want. They are a great group to be a part of and are part of a great mission. And it is well worth the 2 hr trip to Mille Lacs. Regarding your stay there are numerous resorts on the lake to stay at. Living here my whole life I have my biases on where to stay and who actually supports the bass on the lake so I will let you do the research and find a place to stay. But regardless where you stay you won’t be very far from a chance at some trophy smallmouth.
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    I personally have never heard any walleye fishermen call smb a trash fish.
    You're not talking to very many walleye fishermen then!!

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redxdu View Post
    LOL Touche!

15. Member
    HAHA thought the same thing
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Cooker11

I tried to send you a pm but it doesn’t seem to be going through. If it did I can’t see it on my end so if it went through more than once I apologize.

17. Member
    Cooker11

I tried to send you a pm but it doesn’t seem to be going through. If it did I can’t see it on my end so if it went through more than once I apologize.
    Received and replied
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Smb are hated by most up north! Invasive species-take some home with you lol

19. Member
    So my buddy and I are heading to Waconia MN to visit a friend we haven’t seen in couple years and taking the bass boat. He doesn’t smallmouth fish and that’s all we want to do although we have no idea where to go and how to locate them. We don’t care if it’s a 100 acre pond or a 10,000 acre lake we want to catch a bunch of smallies and some large ones too if possible. He said Mills Lac but that is 2 hours from his house. Does anyone know of a honey hole close to his area for smallies? I know this is considered your trash fish lol but that’s what we want to fish for. He isn’t really a help because he doesn’t fish or have fishing friends so we are going in extremely blind. Please help we will be up there the 13th I believe for about 5 days.
    Lake Waconia, Hydes Lake, or Minnetonka are all close and should have decent Smallie fishing.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

20. Member
    There's smallies in Waconia?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast