Trolling motor shaft length

Currently have a 52" Minn Kota 101 hand control on my 2011 Z520.
    Looking to change out to either a Fortrex or ultrex 112 in foot control.
    What length should I be looking to get? Is the 52" to long? and which offers spot lock?

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Ultrex offers spot lock. Fortrex does not. The trade off between shaft lengths is that the 52 inch may stick up a bit higher than you like when in extremely shallow water, while the 45 inch may not stick down quite far enough when in very heavy chop. So, do you fish more in heavy chop or extremely shallow water? I use a 45 inch on all my Ranger boats, even though I often fish on Lake Erie. But when I fish on Erie, I try not to run the trolling motor in really heavy wave action, or if I do, I have a drift sock out to keep the boat from bouncing a lot. I also fish a bunch of extremely shallow lakes, where casting under branches and docks is the name of the game. 52 inch causes me more problems in the skinny water than 45 inch does in the big water.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    For Florida fishing, the 45" is more than adequate for 95% of your fishing. Seven different Rangers over the last 35 years and never seen the need for a longer shaft.

4. Member
    Thanks Guys.

5. Member
    I've got an Ulterra with a 45" shaft, never had an issue with it not being long enough.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200