New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

Just replaced my pedestal bushing

Replaced the worn out bushing with the new one , after I cleaned out the old one and cleaned up with a little sandpaper and alcohol to clean it up. Glued up the hole and the bushing and drove it in with wooden dowel supplied. It went right down to where it needed to be and let it set up for a while now I just inserted the pedestal into the new bushing nice and tight .But it won't go all the way down it looks like it can go another 3/8 of an inch in but can't make it budge right now . Going to see if traveling and fishing on it makes it settle, I really don't want to reem it out any because I want it tight .That's why I replaced it because it was loose.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Sounds like you tried to put the straight bushing into a tapered pedestal base.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

That kit comes with 2 bushings. See if your post will go all the way down into the one you didn't install. You may have installed the wrong one.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    When I replaced my pedestal plate on the front Ranger Parts told me that the new plates are different than the older ones. They told me that if I had to order a new bushing to make sure I told them I had the newer one, not the 2000 yr one. Is it possible that you got a bushing intended for the new plate and not the old one in your boat? Another thing to check, if you have a cap on the bottom side of the plate to prevent water going into your boat it's possible the pedestal is hitting it keeping it from locking, happened to me once. Be careful running with the pedestal unsecured, if it bounces out it can be devastating.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    When I replaced my pedestal plate on the front Ranger Parts told me that the new plates are different than the older ones. They told me that if I had to order a new bushing to make sure I told them I had the newer one, not the 2000 yr one. Is it possible that you got a bushing intended for the new plate and not the old one in your boat? Another thing to check, if you have a cap on the bottom side of the plate to prevent water going into your boat it's possible the pedestal is hitting it keeping it from locking, happened to me once. Be careful running with the pedestal unsecured, if it bounces out it can be devastating.
    The bushing seems to have broken for me and I can see water sitting below the deck. I am surprised that water doesn’t drain down somewhere? Had to call my dealer for a replacement and havent heard back. Thanks for the reminder of running w it unsecured as I was wondering about that. That makes sense.

Would be be interested in any ideas of how to get that water out or if it is ok to just leave. Sorry if this is a thread jack.

6. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    it went into both just as easy I replaced it with the one that was similar to the one I took out ,it had a ridge on it about 3/4 of the way down and that what was in there also the other was smooth. So will just see what happens over the next couple days or so it is not coming out on it's own I guanrantee.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years