Verado charging system

2018 Verado 200 L4 ser# 2B546709

Venturing down the lithium battery path I have found that the Verado as well as most other Merc 4 strokes seem to be prone to voltage spikes in the charging system. These spikes can trip the shut down of the BMS on a lithium battery. Curious if anyone has any insight as to why these charging systems are so screwy? Seems that lower RPM is OK and upper RPM ok, but in the 3000 range seems to be an issue. Also less of an issue if there is a good draw on the charging system ie less than full battery.

Mine did not upset the Verado at all, but did shut down my Solix. I also seem to have lost the analog feed to my Ranger dash fuel gauge and trim gauge. Fuel reads empty and trim shows way up. They were working fine and the fuel and trim still show properly on my Level 2 merc monitor and NMEA feed to the Solix.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Actually not spikes in the Charging System. The engines require an AGM battery (only). Digital Throttle and Shift engines MUST have a properly type, AMPLE rating, and fully-charged battery online at ALL times.

You cannot run analog fuel and trim on both the MercMonitor AND Analog gauges without utilizing an AGI to drive those analog inputs.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have the AGI but for whatever reason the fuel and trim are no longer functioning properly. Having a basic analog fuel gauge is quite convenient and my primary concern. It seems to start up and cycle the needle just a bit but reads empty.

The lithium batteries have a higher voltage and do well with starting the motor etc. The issue is that the alternator charge voltage exceeds the limits of the BMS so it cuts out briefly. Apparently this is an issue with most Merc 4s regardless of DTS or analog. The only real apparent issue is that the graph shuts down. Ionic has a battery with a special BMS that is supposed to work fine with the Merc 4s.

I should note that with my AGM the low voltage alarm will trip on the Solix. Not so with the Lithium.
    Last edited by Diesel Pro; 06-04-2020 at 11:26 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just keep in mind- if you end up having problems with that engine and have chosen to run an incorrect battery type, you will likely be responsible for any and all problems, failures or damage that occurs (with an Electronic Throttle and Shift Engine- that's potentially pretty messy).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor