2005 Aries 200 w/Mercury 150 xr66

What's the right prop for a 19.5 ft boat with a 2005 Merc 150 xr66? I'm only getting 55 mph at 5800 rpm with a 8' jackplate, and I just don't feel that's correct. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    8' jackplate? Damn..

What is your PTP? What prop are you currently running?

55 MPH may not be that far off, I would top out at 60 GPS on Champion 18'6" with same XR6 motor.

Your RPMs are fine to a tick high (Assuming it was warmer out when tested), those were stickered at 5600 RPM but could run many more..

3. Pat Goff
    That's a heavy boat for a 150. You might be at potential right now. But knowing details like what prop, how it's running, holeshot time, etc will go a long way to getting to the right answer.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

4. Member
    Yea the jackplate was on it when I bought it. I have a 21p Trophy plus on it right now. Haven't measured the prop to pad. Kind of new to boats, so still figuring all this out. Jumps up on pad like a champ though, and I have no complaints at all with the engine and how it runs. I have also read that it's rated for a 200 if i remember right. Good boat though.

5. Member
    I would measure prop to pad first and see what it is. You could then determine if it is too low. What is your water pressure at WOT? If your hole shot is really good, you also could possibly go up a pitch or two to get more top end speed. Maybe a 22-23p trophy or tempest.
    2011 Nitro Z7
    2011 150 Mercury Optimax

6. Member
    Like Pat was alluding to, that's a lot of boat for a 150. If you go to a 3 blade prop, it may get 1-2 mph quicker (max) on top end but you'll likely lose that good holeshot that your Trophy provides.

A tempest with some added cup might be the best of both worlds.