Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions on spinning rigs

New to spinning gear. I got a Diawa Fluego 2500 and a Dobyns Colt rod. I am going to throw ned rigs mainly and curious what line I should use.I am targeting smallmouth from 10 to 20 feet deep. I don't want a braid/flouro leader, and what I have on hand is 10 lbs. copolymer and 8 lbs flourocarbon. Would you recommend either of these or go with something else?

2. Member
    Between the two Id try the #8 fluorocarbon. Though I always go braid to leader

8# to 10# line has served us well over the past 25 years. I will say that the most important thing is to have the drag adjusted PROPERLY before you go after the brown fish. They make sudden runs and pull twice as hard as a largemouth.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    8# to 10# line has served us well over the past 25 years. I will say that the most important thing is to have the drag adjusted PROPERLY before you go after the brown fish. They make sudden runs and pull twice as hard as a largemouth.
    Copolymer, mono or Flouro?

Mono. Low stretch preferably like Big Game, etc.

6. Member
    I’d choose mono too. Florocarbon on spinning rods is just asking for issues imo, way too much memory for my liking. I’d go with trilene xl in 8-10lb test if you don’t want braid.

but I will say every spinning outfit I have is filled with braided line with a floro leader.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Dogfish_Jones
    I suggest using Trilene XT monofilament line. I usually use 10lb line. The 2500 series is cabable of handing 10lb with no problems.

I'd use the fluorocarbon.
    Unless it's p-line. Then I'd throw it away.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

With you being new to spinning gear.
    Your problem is going to be line twist. If you got it,get rid of it right away or it will be a frustrating day.
    Cut the lure off and just drag the line behind the boat and let it un twist and reel it back in. You can also tie a swivel to a tree at home and walk back a while then reel back in.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

10. Member
    I like 7 lb Sunline for ned rigs, particularly when fishing deeper. Better feel than braid/leader combo to me.
    Wash your hands and say your prayers, cause Jesus and germs are everywhere.

11. Member
    I fish for smallmouth with spinning gear a lot. Big fan of Dobyns Rods too. Heard good things about the Colt Series, especially the price.

I'm not new to spinning tackle and while everyone has a favorite line, I personally only use copolymer as it is easy to manage. I use 8 lb mostly but if all the copolymer I had on hand was 10 lb I'd use it. Adjust your drag. I have mine set to where I can pull line off spool without any trouble. I do want some resistance but I want to pull it and hear the drag sing a bit. Personal preference but the drag is important to fight the fish and not break off.

I hope you hook up with nice smallmouth and really enjoy fishing with a spinning rod.

12. Member
    I use 6, 7 and or 8lb Sunline.

13. Member
    8lb trilene xl green

14. Member
    If your new to spinning be sure to install the line properly. Lay the spool flat on the floor. It might be label up or label down depending of how it was installed on the machine at the factory. Run your line thru the stripper guide (largest guide closest to the reel) Tie to the reel spool with any kind of knot, keep tension and make about 10 or 12 quick cranks. A loose spiral of the line hanging is OK, if it twist up,, flip the spool over (laided flat) then fill the spool with-in 1/8" from the reel spool. Then mark the spool of line top or bottom down for the next time you change the line.

To set your drag.. Tie the line to a cleat. Now back up and let about 20' of line out. Pull the rod up just like there was a large fish on,, and you want your line to just barley slip. You set it like this and you will never snap a line on a fish. You might have to tweak it on the first fish but your darn close to having it correct in the garage. Ive fished with line that's guaranteed to break at 4# or less, and Ive never snapped a line.
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 06-03-2020 at 11:11 AM.

15. Member
    I use straight 8lb floro. Seaguar Invisx. KVD line conditioner helps as well. Rarely break the line and have brought 25lb blues in the boat with it.
    Please release me,let me go.

16. Member
    For monofiliment I use 6-8 lb Trilene XT on a spinning reel, or 8lb Seguar Red label for Floro.

6 lb test McCoy's copolymer would be my choice. Drag it out behind the boat and let it untwist, before you ever try to fish with it. Reel it back in while pulling it between your finger/thumb or through a rag, then hose it down well with Blakemore's Line & Reel Magic, and let it dry/soak in.

Set the drag by pulling the line at 90 deg. to the rod tip. A good "zzzzzzt" on a hard hookset is perfect. DEFINITELY AVOID reeling while the drag is slipping!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

18. Member
    STOP fighting it and quit playing around....braid to flouro leader. There is reason I would guess 95% of northern spinning rod anglers use braid to flouro. Lots of info. on this subject.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Quote Originally Posted by BassVoodoo View Post
    STOP fighting it and quit playing around....braid to flouro leader. There is reason I would guess 95% of northern spinning rod anglers use braid to flouro. Lots of info. on this subject.
    And there is a reason that 98% of southern smallmouth anglers still use monofilament.

20. Member
    If you're mainly throwing a ned and want mono or flouro, I'd use 6 lb mono or 8lb flouro (max). Mono runs big compared to flouro and won't be as sensitive.

But I agree with BassVoodoo, 12lb SX1 braid / 8lb Sunline FC flouro leader is what I use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast