Minnkota Alternator Charger

Anyone using one of these https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...650.1591019720

Do they work well? I have a Ultrex 36 V, outboard is Evinrude Etec 2008.

2. Member
    You'd want the MK3 DC and yes they work well. Big thing is run/charge time. Takes a long time to charge 3 big lead acid batteries.

3. Member
    They do work as advertised, but keep in mind, you may have to do quite a bit of running to recharge the batteries. If you are a run and gunner (power fishing) style, the will work will well because you are normally running enough to keep the batteries topped off.
    John
    BTW, give us a call at 870 773 3474 and we can have one shipped to your door. Ask for Ladd or Taylor
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Here is my situation - Vacation time on the lake. Usually we fish in the AM and Evening but Tube and ski during the day (I know behind a Bassboat - but it works for us). I would think that running for a few hours pull-in a tube would keep the batteries up for fishin in the am.

5. Member
    Sounds like a good fit for your needs. A good finish charge from shore power would be beneficial, but not required.

6. Member
    I am trying to find out if there is shore power where we are staying that is why I am looking at this, If I find out there is not then I need to do something different like this minnkota dc charger.

7. Member
    BTW I am running AGM Duracel batteries.. will this charger work for them? I am hearing Led Acid only...

8. Member
    Use the Minn Kota battery charger for charging and maintaining FLOODED / WET CELL, MAINTENANCE FREE, AND AGM / STARVED ELECTROLYTE batteries only. It is not intended to supply power to low voltage electrical systems other than for charging and maintaining batter- ies. Do not use the charger for charging dry-cell batteries that are commonly used with home appliances. These batteries may burst and cause injury to persons and damage to property.

9. Member
    Awesome thanks for sending that I just saw it posted on another site. Are they hard to install? any experience there?

10. Member
    Honda EU2000i generator is quite portable and quiet.

Look at this, Troll Bridge !! I put it in about 3 years ago and absolutely love it !! I've gone 3 days without having to plug in at night to re-charge my TM batteries !!

http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    Ok I am going with the Minnkota seems safer with the ultrex, plus the troll bridge is not 36v but looks like a good option. The next question. I have a Ranger z520 with the keypad. Where are you all intercepting the ignition power so it is only operating with the big engine on?

13. Member
    I have one of the mk alternator chargers. My alternator doesn't make a ton of power since I only have a yami 70, but it's kind of a belt and suspenders type of thing for me. No such thing as too much power. I have had it on the boat for 2 years, using Duracell agm 31s. Both the charger and the batteries are in their third season now, and I've never had any problems with the ulterra running down. We do troll quite a bit for musky, but again - with such a small motor, at that low of an rpm, I'm not sure it's doing much for me.

Sorry for the very unscientific review, but there it is anyway. Lol

14. Member
    How did you locate the ignition wire? Anyone do this on a Ranger with the digital keypad?

15. Member
    I have one as well. Works great. When we go up to Northern Minnesota for a few days at a time I can make it 3-4 days without having to plug in.

Best way to locate ignition wire is two fold. First, if you can get a wiring diagram or wire color code for your harness it helps narrow it down. Second, a simple wire tester to test if the wire is hot when the key is on, or engine, and not hot when off. Any wire they has the behavior will work.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teandrle View Post
    Ok I am going with the Minnkota seems safer with the ultrex, plus the troll bridge is not 36v but looks like a good option. The next question. I have a Ranger z520 with the keypad. Where are you all intercepting the ignition power so it is only operating with the big engine on?
    Yandina does have a Trollbridge 36 volt. http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm Charges your 3 trolling batteries at up to 100 amps from 12 volt alternator, tow vehicle, shore power, solar.
    For 24 volt trolling motors you can use the Trollbridge 12X24 http://www.yandina.com/troll12X24info.htm with an isolated starting battery.
    If you only have 2 batteries and use the starting battery for trolling you can use the Trollbridge 24 http://www.yandina.com/troll24info.htm

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teandrle View Post
    Awesome thanks for sending that I just saw it posted on another site. Are they hard to install? any experience there?

how about this one Generac® GP2200i 1,700 Running 2,200 Starting Watt Gasoline Inverter Generator
    https://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...56-c-10107.htm

18. Member
    Dumb question: do you use the alternator charger while running only. Then to a on board? Like a MK345PC? While docked?