Bass Boat vs Kayak (NE vs IA)

With my tournament seemingly not going to happen this year, a friend and I decided to do a little one on one tournament where I’m in my boat and he’s in his kayak. Separate states too. I don’t want to ruin the video but it’s safe to say that the fishing was tough.

2007 Triton TR-21X w/ Pro XS 250
    6" T&H Hi Jacker w/ 2" spacers
    26P Tempest

2. Member
    Cool video.

I have both a kayak and a bass boat. Boat works great for range (changing fishing spots) and comfort when on the water multiple hours. Kayak works great for ease of trip preparation and ability to drop feet into water when it gets hot.

My plan now that I am retired is to switch between the two.

3. Member
    Hey thank you for making your videos I really enjoy watching them. The ones where you take your children are fantastic those are memories those boys will have forever.

4. Member
    I would be upside down if I tried to cast from a kayak.

I see a lot of people around here now in kayaks, but I'm an old fart and I guess a a youngin I saw to many Tarzan movies. This is what keeps me in a boat, with my feet out of the water

Picture doesn't do it justice - long as my 185 Tracker and an easy 24 or better from the ground to its back, and not the biggest one there in the waters.

20200501_135025.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    Cool video.

I have both a kayak and a bass boat. Boat works great for range (changing fishing spots) and comfort when on the water multiple hours. Kayak works great for ease of trip preparation and ability to drop feet into water when it gets hot.

My plan now that I am retired is to switch between the two.
    I’ve kicked around the idea of getting a kayak as well. I like the thought of reaching some waters I couldn’t otherwise get to in my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Hey thank you for making your videos I really enjoy watching them. The ones where you take your children are fantastic those are memories those boys will have forever.
    Those videos will always be my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    I would be upside down if I tried to cast from a kayak.
    And that right there is what keeps me from buying one.

8. Member
    I would Recognize most of your Iowa lakes from your videos I would really like to see one from 12-mile and 3-mile. There not much father the green valley.

I’ve never been on 3 mile and only been to 12 mile once. Both are lakes I intend to try once I’m able to get a little farther from home.

10. Member
    Be careful on both of those lake before I got my nitro I had a nice 16 foot johnboat. I was going a long and got it stuck on a stump in 18ft of water. I was lucky there was other boats there. I had to have them pull me off. Lol it never hurt the boat but I was very concerned. The guys that help were really nice they thought it was hilarious.

11. Member
    I have really been fishing hard this year, did really good early but about 4/5 weeks ago have been on the struggle bus to catch anything with any size to it. Seems the water clarity this spring has been really clear. I think that has made it harder for me and the way I like to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    I have really been fishing hard this year, did really good early but about 4/5 weeks ago have been on the struggle bus to catch anything with any size to it. Seems the water clarity this spring has been really clear. I think that has made it harder for me and the way I like to fish.
    It was a weird spring for sure. We still have bass on beds and I’ve been catching spawning crappie since mid April. Both of which should have been done for weeks.

13. Member
    Have you ever made it to icara? That place gives me bad dreams if I try to catch bass!! But finally this spring I had a good day there. I think I have 4– 3lb bass and a nice walleye!! That place has a serious carp probably again, there’s no grass or vegetation in that lake and the DNR have put enough walleye in there that there so much competition for food that the bass are having a hard time. That’s just my opinion though... if I can catch enough walleye for a meal that’s cool there delicious. If I don’t tell my daughter that I caught it that afternoon she will eat the heck out of them lol but if she knows I caught it my self she just doesn’t know about it. :-)

I’ve been to Icaria once back in 2017 for a few hours. We weren’t in my boat but I don’t remember catching anything. We left there and went Viking.

15. Member
    Hows viking coming along??

Anyone been by there lately?

16. Member
    I saw it a couple weeks ago and it was still 8ft low... I talked to a guy that bank fished it the other day and he did great on the pan fish. He said it was still low maybe 6ft low. I would really like to get my boat in there.... I fished 12-mile today 6-2-2020. I caught bass nothing over 3lb. I couldn’t believe how many boats were there!!