To buy with a SHO or Pro XS FS...

Pulling the trigger on a new 721 this week. The dealer has the colors I want with a sho and a pro xs 4s. Iv ran a sho for the last year and honestly not real pleased with it. Only merc I’ve owned was a optimax. So what’s everyone’s opinions?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer7800 View Post
    Pulling the trigger on a new 721 this week. The dealer has the colors I want with a sho and a pro xs 4s. Iv ran a sho for the last year and honestly not real pleased with it. Only merc I’ve owned was a optimax. So what’s everyone’s opinions?
    What were you not pleased with on a SHO? Both engines perform well on the Phoenix. My 3rd Phoenix with SHO is on order for 2021 and the first 2 I have had have been flawless. Key is to run a hydraulic JP

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J at BAY View Post
    What were you not pleased with on a SHO? Both engines perform well on the Phoenix. My 3rd Phoenix with SHO is on order for 2021 and the first 2 I have had have been flawless. Key is to run a hydraulic JP
    Just curious, but why do you say to run a hydraulic jack plate with the SHO?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KMB View Post
    Just curious, but why do you say to run a hydraulic jack plate with the SHO?
    Yamaha Likes to be ran high on the Pro Xp hull so you can run the jackplate up higher to get more performance but it will try and blow out on take off with it too high is to why you would need to adjust it while running

Hydraulic plate will make a Phoenix perform better all around with any brand motor.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J at BAY View Post
    I had a few issues with the sho that made me Leary of it. And my motor is a 12 model which was one of the years they were still having some trouble. Just thinking I’d try a merc. I ended up making a deal on a new 721 with the merc. I’ll take ownership of it this well.

7. Member
    The Merc 4s is the real deal. It has much better mid range than the SHO.
    Jeremiah Jordan
    20 PHX
    250 Mercury 4s
    10" Atlas Hydraulic
    Ultrex
    Humminbird Helix
    Humminbird 360
    Lowrance HDS
    Talons

8. Member
    I looked at it this way, the Merc 4s is new to the game and will have growing pains. The SHO has went through them already and seems to be a more refined product to me.

9. Member
    SHO

The Mercury has been out long enough now to really see some major issues. The G2 and sho had already shown their true colors by now. I remember seeing my first 4s mercury in the summer of 2017. So it’s been 3 years.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

11. Member
    There both great motors the SHO has a better low end and is a little faster on top .The Merc has better mid range .The max warranty that can be had goes to the Merc I believe is up to 8 years and a max of 6 on the SHO .I say pick the one that matches the colors on on the boat you buy .

12. Member
    Both are great motors. I think the SHO is probably due a refresh here soon especially with the new merc out.
    A.J. Kelty Versailles KY
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Both are great motors. I think the SHO is probably due a refresh here soon especially with the new merc out.
    Agree. I was very surprised that it took 8-9 years for Merc to bring a true competitor to market as good as their small 4's are. I've owned two 250 SHO's the first was number 44 off the assembly line, the second a 2017 that I am running now. Both great motors without a lick of trouble - not even a single stutter on a start. I can't wait to see what they come out with next.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

14. Member
    SHO, love mine. 2017 model