Where is the profit in space?

After the Space X launch I was sort of wondering as to what could be earned by these companies going to space. Now there is the scientific and exploration component and the government will fund that by payment to these companies much like a defense contractor. And there is the satellite component to launch satellites for communication, gps and for spying. But is there a viable tourism component, space mining for minerals, etc.? It was pretty exciting to see the Dragon launch but was sort of thinking about where the money is to be made.

2. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I look at the future commercial space industry as similar to, but infinitely larger than the early days of Amazon and the internet.

Costs have always been the issue with launching to space, but SpaceX has proven thats not the issue anymore. So if launches are cheap, then that changes everything. Kind of like how the internet changed everything.

The easy one is launching satellites, and launching big heavy satellites. Once Starship starts launching, then we can add the business of launching really heavy satellites and even repairing satellites. Satellites have always been restrained by the size, weight and cost. Plus there is no way to make repairs or maintenance. That has all changed. Blue Origin will be a big competitor and will also help drive down costs.

Another easy one, is Starlink. Now I don't know how well to believe their claims, but they are claiming some pretty amazing speeds with their internet capabilities. The military just signed a contract with them to start looking into ways to use Starlink. If Starlink can come close to what they say they can do, they may take over the internet space, no more cables needed.
    https://spacenews.com/u-s-army-signs...ink-broadband/

There will be a new space race. There was a race to the moon, there will be a race to the first moon base and a race to Mars. There will be trillions spent by governments around the world.

Now we need to use some imagination, just like the early days of the internet. I think we will see bio pharma labs being developed in space. I don't know why, but I have read that micro gravity offers benefits in growing organs and other research. There has been some research on the space station, but I bet there will be a private space station where a company could lease space to do experiments and manufacture products. Maybe somebody like Pfizer opens up a lab and starts printing organs in space.

There will be mining companies. I forget who, NASA or Japan, has already launched a mission to intercept an asteroid, divert it's course and collect samples to bring back home. The tech will be here in the future to identify an asteroid, change it's course to bring it close to Earth and mine it's materials for use. There will also be mining on the moon and mars. Going to need to make rocket fuel, O2, and drinking water in space.

Tourism. The costs of tourism will come down to a point where anybody will be able to travel to space. Similar to the cruise industry was only for the rich at first. Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin will be launching tourists soon.

Will probably need a company to clean up all the space junk.

I'm guessing in twenty years, we do things in space we couldn't imagine.
    Thanos was the hero

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Boston Dynamics would be another good one if they go public. I could see a pack of their robot dogs walking around on the moon doing inspections, collecting samples, cleaning off solar panels.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    I heard some mention yesterday about the 3D printing of organs in space. I don’t really understand how the lack of gravity changes this but sounded pretty interesting.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroZ7 View Post
    I heard some mention yesterday about the 3D printing of organs in space. I don’t really understand how the lack of gravity changes this but sounded pretty interesting.

The head of NASA talked about it yesterday in an interview.
    Thanos was the hero

6. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Asteroid Psyche. Estimated to be worth $700 quintillion.

The industry alone in getting ready to mine this asteroid and similar ones will be worth paying attention and investing in.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7694
    https://www.universetoday.com/142719...ecious-metals/
    Thanos was the hero

7. Banned
    Preppers. They'll pay big $$$ for a bunker in space.