How do you price this used boat?

I am looking at a very nice early 2000’s Ranger boat. The boat has been stored inside, shines like new.
    The boat has wiring issues, no power to the dash other than the ignition. I’m suspecting mice.

I would say the boat is worth around $10000 if it didn’t have these issues. How much lower would you offer considering the wiring issues?

Quote Originally Posted by basspro05 View Post
    I am looking at a very nice early 2000’s Ranger boat. The boat has been stored inside, shines like new.
    The boat has wiring issues, no power to the dash other than the ignition. I’m suspecting mice.

I would say the boat is worth around $10000 if it didn’t have these issues. How much lower would you offer considering the wiring issues?
    What model Ranger? Engine and hours?

3. Fishing is a Passion
    Need more info
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

4. Member
    2006 175VS with low hours 115 optimax
    I think without the issues it’s worth $10k
    not sure what to offer with the electrical wiring issues.
    The ignition switch works and starts the motor, but none of the other electrical works in the boat. No lights, pumps etc

Off $8K and see if they bite.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Honestly, I wouldn't think it would be worth more than about 5k, especially with the electrical issues.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't think it would be worth more than about 5k, especially with the electrical issues.
    This and it’s got a 115 that’s underpowered isn’t it.

8. Member
    Max horsepower rating is 130 hp. You don't know what else you will find once you get into it. I'd give an offer of about 5k. to cover other unknown expenses.

9. Member
    NOTHING works but the starter? IF so then it might well be as simple as a main breaker or fuse to the breaker panel, bad ground/common ground... or a simple shorted/loose wire. It's unusual for the entire console to be dead without it being ONE thing interrupting the power/ground to the breaker panel/console breaker panel.

I'm FAR from an expert, but, I have built 3 "trackers" from scratch and just finished totally rewiring my Fisher 180 (17 circuits) so I do have quite a bit of rudimentary experience. I'd bet it's something very, very simple with ALL the console circuits being DOA.

Negotiate yourself a great deal and don't be scared of the wiring. 12v is VERY simple wiring....PITA at times, but very very simple. I bet once you've located the wiring issue it turns into an absolute steal of a deal.

One other thing, I've helped a few guys with bass boat wiring issues and fixed plenty of mine. It might well be some idiot former owner back down the line got out the electric tape, wire dikes, and made a mess. I was astounded at the bafoonish incompetence of the former owners of my boat once I'd pulled the decks.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 06-02-2020 at 09:05 AM.

10. Member
    The wiring from the controls to the motor are separate from the wiring harness for the lights, pumps, etc. Does the trim work? Does the tach work? Does the boat have trim on the bow? Those are a couple of wires that come off the control harness up to the front for the trim. If that doesn't work then it may be mice as they'll get into the smaller wires before the bigger ones like the main engine harness. If the ignition and trim work then I'd bet that like Slicefixer said it's a simple fix. Might be hard to find but simple once you do probably not a huge deal. 175VS is a solid little boat. Two guys in my club had them, one still does. One guy has a carbed 125 and the other one a 115 Opti. They performed about the same so I wouldn't say it's underpowered.

All that being said I'd still throw a lowball offer. $10K is at the high end if everything worked.

11. Member
    It could be something as simple as a wire left off the battery by accident. I buy and sell fishing stuff mostly used. When you ask us what you should offer, and if you offer it it puts you at a disasvantage. Let the seller make the first offer, yours might be more than he wants.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    The wiring from the controls to the motor are separate from the wiring harness for the lights, pumps, etc. Does the trim work? Does the tach work? Does the boat have trim on the bow? Those are a couple of wires that come off the control harness up to the front for the trim. If that doesn't work then it may be mice as they'll get into the smaller wires before the bigger ones like the main engine harness. If the ignition and trim work then I'd bet that like Slicefixer said it's a simple fix. Might be hard to find but simple once you do probably not a huge deal. 175VS is a solid little boat. Two guys in my club had them, one still does. One guy has a carbed 125 and the other one a 115 Opti. They performed about the same so I wouldn't say it's underpowered.

All that being said I'd still throw a lowball offer. $10K is at the high end if everything worked.
    ignition works, trim works...no power to gauges or switch panel

still working on a price and trying to buy the boat

13. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    If it's not something simple you could be in for a big tedious job but it's not too terrible hard if you're good at fishing wires. I've learned through experience that in boats where the whole electrical system takes a dump it's best to just start over from scratch with new wire. Had to do this with my first two boats. The first one the switch panel just started smoking one day on the lake! Old wiring with connections going to the switches way too close together from the factory!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

The school of hard knocks is a rough way to be educated!

14. Banned
    It's probably a $7-8k boat

I wouldn't be scared of the potential wiring issues. Like previously mentioned, 12v wiring isn't that difficult.

It could be a number of things, but is likely something simple like a bad ground, bad rectifier/regulator, or fuse.

15. Banned
    Bet someone left a connection off the battery. If it's not that simple than put a fuse block under the console, wire it to the starting battery, and run everything directly to that fuse block. You can really clean up the mess under a console that way.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basspro05 View Post
    ignition works, trim works...no power to gauges or switch panel

still working on a price and trying to buy the boat
    Then it's gotta be ONE thing....

Power to block....

Ground to block/bus....

Simple loose wire/wiring short to block or bus.....

Popped in line breaker to block.... If there ain't one install one....

Simple blown in line fuse....

All switch grounds wired to a common ground wire.... Which is loose, come apart at the joint, broken at the battery..... or not hooked up (same for the hot)

Idiot former owners of my boat had fooled with the electric.... Loose wires/joints simply twisted and taped... No shrink wrap much less solder.... Anything they touched was bad or going bad.

The good thing is it's not complicated to repair or replace. It can be tedious and a PITA, but, it's not technically difficult.
    Last edited by Slicefixer; 06-03-2020 at 12:07 PM.

17. Member
    Do you have a garage and the ability to fix it?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

18. Member
    Absolutely...electrical is my strong point. Hoping to buy it this week thanks for all the input.