tilt starts on its on

i have a 2000 mer 90 hp ser ot331577 the tilt will just start working on its on. if i push the down switch on the shift lever it will stop as long as i hold it but will start again when i let it go, the switch on the motor will stop it and make it go down it will stay down it will go up and down ok . this is intermittent it will just go up with out touching any of the buttons i dont know if the up relay is sticking it just started doing this. it will even go up while its on the trailer while going down the road,
    i have replaced the switch on the motor but it didnt help
    what do i need to look at next ? thanks

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Do you have a switch at the bow too?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    yes it will stop it, but when you release it the motor starts to tilt again i think i might have bad switch on the motor it i replaced it but it could be bad the others checked out good
    i unpluged the motor switch and the others did ok when i put it back on the motor started to tilt again i forgot to add that i didnt use the factory switch the dealer didnt have one but did have a 3 way switch it was on there when i got the motor it had been on there for 2 years before this happen

4. Member
    Have you gotten any water in the boat lately? Like a wave over the bow or a hard rain? Water can get in the trim switches and cause them to short,like yours is doing. Most often this happens to the bow trim switch but can be the others.

5. Member
    yes it did get in a hard rain a storm blew my storage cover down on it i will check it and see if i can clean it or replace it

6. Member
    thanks

7. Member
    now i am afraid to leave the tilt motor hooked up in case it turns on by itself and i am not around to unplug it lol

8. Member
    You have a bad relay on the motor. Nothing to do with the switches in this case. To explain what is happening:
    When relaxed, both relays go to ground and there is no circuit. When activated up, the up relay sends positive to the trim motor and with the other relay already on ground, the motor goes up. Same thing happens for ground. No on a bad relay that is stuck in up position, the other relay on ground is making the motor go up. When you push the down button, you are disconnecting the ground and the motor stops. when you let off the button, ground is reconnected and the motor goes up. Replae both relays.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    I would change the bow switch first. You should also carry two of the above mentioned relays with you at all times. They are cheap. Relays almost never initiate actions without outside influences.

10. Member
    Happened to me several times on the same boat, holding any trim switch in the down position would stop the motor from going up. Every time it happened I disconnected the bow switch and the problem went away. A replacement bow switch has fixed it every time. I would disconnect the bow switch and see what happens.............................then change out parts. A little troubleshooting goes a long way

11. Member
    thanks guys for the info i forgot that the day it started i was fishing and a large boat came by and the wake came over the bow of the boat i took the bow switch off and blew it out with brake cleaner went fishing today it works like it should now but i am going to get the relays to keep in my boat