175 Intruder Tilt/Trim

Have a new to me boat with 175 Intruder. Been working on getting it set up properly. The more I take it out, the more little things I notice.

My tilt/trim has a couple of aggravating quirks.

1. If motor is tilted full up, it gets stuck every single time. I have to break out the screwdriver and manually release it. It will work all day long until as long as you don't go full up. I have serviced it, but read on another thread to loosen the manual screw and run it up and down to bleed it a few times. Gonna try that here in a few minutes.

2. When buzzing down the lake at FULL speed/trim, it doesn't wanna trim down under power. I have to let off of the hot foot a bit, and it will trim down. At cruising rpm/speed, I can trim up or down without any problems.

Has anyone experienced the second? Could these two problems be related?

Thanks!

2. Member
    Well, all that did was make it worse. Now it chatters and jumps on the down stroke. Serviced and ran up and down. Chattering wont go away.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    On the right side of the motor where the steering cables/ram enter the tilt tube is a large 1 1/4" nut, tighten that. Sounds like you are hitting the trim limit switch there is an adjustable cam on the tilt tube just above the steering arm. When you hit that it kills the system.

4. Member
    Thanks for the reply. I have already tightened the nut. If I hit the limit switch, wouldn't it turn off electrical power? My pump will run up or down even when its stuck in the up position. Once I crack the manual valve just a little, it will trim back down.

I read something on iboats about a pressure valve on the tilt piston maybe getting stuck.

I will take a look at the switch as well.

5. Member
    Maybe Im confused about how it operates. Does the limit switch shut it off before it has a chance to build too much pressure?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Yes, it prevents the trim motor from burning out due to a defective up switch

7. Member
    You guys are great! Adjusted the limit switch, and no more motor lock up. Thanks!

8. Member
    Had the opportunity to run the boat on some long runs today. Still having trim issues. Once on pad and running WOT, the motor wont trim down at all. I have to let up quite a bit on the hot foot and slow the boat down and it will start to trim down. No problems at any other speeds. Just full trim WOT. Any ideas?

9. Member
    The model and SN are E175GLECD G04366377

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try bleeding the system. Trim motor down onto a block of wood. Open the manual release and trim the motor up for a long 5 count, motor should not go up. Wait a few seconds then trim down for a 5 count. Run this cycle 5 times, tighten valve. Trim motor up and check the reservoir for fluid add if needed, repeat if needed.

11. Member
    I did that twice when I was having the problem of it sticking in the max up position. I will do it again. It works flawlessly, though, at any other speed, up or down, i.e cruising down the lake at 3500/35mph. No chattering or jumping. No problems trimming up to WOT. Just wont trim back down til I let off the gas. It cant just be a little off the pedal. It has to be significant.

Im running a 24 tempest prop and have to go to max trim to reach 5500. I haven't had my prop worked by mark yet, but plan to. Is it possible that Im having to trim too much and causing it to lock up?

12. Member
    Did system bleed and ran boat again. Same issue.

13. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I can't figure out how that works....when the engine is wot it's trying to push the lower down.....should make it easier....only thing I can come up with is the trim motor is struggling on the down side.....

14. Member
    I think I have a valve problem inside the unit. But, Im definitely not experienced with outboards. I do know hydraulics and electromechanics pretty well.

If you take the tilt level switch out of the picture and tilt to full tilt, it will jam in the up position every single time from what I believe is from building too much pressure. In very other outboard Ive owned, once you reach full tilt, the motor would keep running if you keep pressing the button, but they didnt jam up. They would trim down like they were supposed to.

I cant help but think that Im experiencing the same issue at WOT running down the lake. The motor is pushing so hard that it causes a "pressure lock" for lack of better terms. Once I have to let off of the throttle, the water lifting up on the motor by slowing too fast is enough to lift the motor and relieve pressure and allow it to "unlock" and start trimming down.

It's just a theory. What do you guys think? I dont know where to start other than cleaning and rebuilding the unit.

15. Member
    Dropped the boat off at the mech. They told me it was an oring in the manual release valve. Does that sound possible to you guys?

Anything is possible......but that would not be my first choice, What I usually find is metal in the fluid that has contaminated all the valving inside.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......