Merc 200HP SN#0T443994

Hi all,

I think I have decided to repair my blown Merc 200HP EFI SN#0T443994, I was hoping to just purchase a legit complete 200 that would work with existing controls but they seem to be really tough to find in comparison to 250's.

Anyway my plan is to buy a reman powerhead and do the work myself. I have been told that while performing this work I should probably go ahead and replace the reeds. So I was hoping to get some info on which reeds to go with and where I can get the reeds from for a decent price relatively quickly?

Oh also I know I have been told or read to service the injectors during this process as well, can you guys offer tips on that as well or maybe tell me what I should be looking for or maybe reference a video if available.

Thanks guys I am trying to gather everything I will need to do this properly prior to the powerhead arriving so I don't have to stop and go so if there is anything that or tips you guys can give me to prepare I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Member
    My biggest tip is get the correct merc manual , read twice do the work once , chris Carson for reeds , or tdr which ever u prefer, both good. Make sure u have ur loctite, gel seal, needle bearing grease , the manual will be ur friend. Hopefully if ur getting machine work done ,u have someone with a very high reputation and not sumone that does car motors

3. Member
    Thanks for the tips, I was leaning toward just purchasing a reman power head from Crowley at this point, doesn't seem like I have to many options.

I should ask prior to spending the money and doing the work should I be considering anything to give the motor more power or efficiency etc., not sure what is possible really but don't want to find out later oh I should have done X.

4. Member
    Give Chris Carson a call. I'm 2 years into his rebuilt 200 EFI without any problems whatsoever.

5. Member
    Any tips on removing the oil injection system, or should I leave it but add a mixture of oil into gas tank? I have heard both recommended before but not sure which is recomended? If I should remove system any tips for doing so and if I should leave it but add extra into gas tank what ratio is recommended?

Thanks guys

6. Member
    Yank the oil injection. There is a simple block off kit to do it
    90 Shadow 20' Mod V w/ 200 Merc - Total resto and loving it!
    Here's my build from cap-off to boat in the water.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=336645

7. Member
    try EUROPEAN MARINE provides endless amount of info and help for merc owners and sponsor on this site, BIG TIP LEAVE IT ALONE ITS A GOOD SYSTEM youll use less oil mtr will run cleaner at idle and low speed and others on the lake wont say theres ol smokey JOE over there cookin hamburgers again when ya start it up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsauger View Post
    Yank the oil injection. There is a simple block off kit to do it
    DON'T do that. There is no "blockoff kit" for the Electronic Oil Injection pump that your engine uses (and that system is well proven).

TDR Reeds would be a good choice... and if you need any parts/gaskets, etc... contact Rhonda in our Parts Department and she can assist you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor