The trials and tribulations of taking care of my 250 PRO XS V8

sn2b529959. So my motor was just about 2 years old and I decided it was time for its annual oil change service, no big deal. Well everything was doing fine until I started dumping the first gallon of fresh Mercury 10/30 semisynthetic oil down the oil fill. My normal practice is to take my pocket knife and cut around the foil seal in the top of the jug and just pop it up out of the way and start poring: well poop the seal wasn't stuck to the top of the jug and went down the oil fill hole. So after many 4 letter words and 15 minuets with the manual I pulled off the oil fill tube hoping the foil was stuck in the sharp bend to the port cylinder head NSL. After much more mental debate I pulled the port valve cover and recovered the foil that was stuck just above the bottom exhaust valves. There are 16 bolts holding the valve cover on and the lower ones are a bit hard to get to. Luckily the valve cover gasket was reusable and things went back together smoothly.

I will always peal off those pesky foil seals in the future, lesson learned.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

2. Member
    Lost one and plastic seal piece into a cessna engine once. Never seen again, and engine made overhaul time
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    sn

I will always peal off those pesky foil seals in the future, lesson learned.
    Good habit to have.. I started being over cautious when pouring 2 stroke oil... One clog and it could get expensive.

4. Member
    Sure wish they would make those seals easier to remove. Not easy when one side is coated in oil. The ones on the 12oz fuel additive bottles really suck, as do the ones on 2-4-C grease tubes.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

5. Member
    Note to self ....
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

6. Member
    Why did it ever get to the fill site ? I pull mine before I ever get to the step ladder. Having to use a step ladder is a topic for a whole other rant.
    GETFISHED !!!

Luckily you found it. I can just imagine how much your stomach sank when that happened. That lesson bit me in the butt too. Its honestly a bad habit should always pull them anyway i suppose lol
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good lesson for others to learn from. Remember to watch the "months" that pass, not just the engine hours.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. #FRB
    ALWAYS completely remove the foil seal. And change oil once a year in my 4-stroke even if it's only been 20 hours.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.