No G2 repower, thinking Merc now

I originally posted this in the Ranger section since I've got a Ranger but was told I'd probably have better luck getting the questions answered here.

Since last month my boat had been at a dealer in Port Charlotte waiting for Evinrude to re-open production so I could get a new G2 but I think we all know how that ended this week. Today I went and picked up the boat and brought it home. Now I'm thinking Mercury either the Pro xs 200 or regular 4 stroke 200. I'm not really sure what the differences are between them since I haven't had much time to research and haven't had time to get any quotes on them.

My question(s) are:
    1) Has anyone repowered with either model?
    2) What is a ballpark cost for either model?
    3) Does either model have the ability to switch between hotfoot and hand control?

I would like to stick with Mercury since it is American made but I'm not completely ruling out Yamaha or Suzuki just yet.
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

I would definitely recommend the pro xs over the standard 4s for a bassboat. The 200 pro xs model is the 4.6L V8 while the standard 200 is a 3.4L V6. Definitely a difference in holeshot loaded down and upper end. I absolutely love mine its an amazing engine. Hell the sound when you fire it up is enough reason itself lol.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    I would definitely recommend the pro xs over the standard 4s for a bassboat. The 200 pro xs model is the 4.6L V8 while the standard 200 is a 3.4L V6. Definitely a difference in holeshot loaded down and upper end. I absolutely love mine its an amazing engine. Hell the sound when you fire it up is enough reason itself lol.
    I'm putting a pair of Talons on the back so I definitely want the stronger torque. Did your boat come with the Pro xs or did you repower? If you repowered, what did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    I'm putting a pair of Talons on the back so I definitely want the stronger torque. Did your boat come with the Pro xs or did you repower? If you repowered, what did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
    Def the pro xs then. I ordered the boat new with this engine on it.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    I originally posted this in the Ranger section since I've got a Ranger but was told I'd probably have better luck getting the questions answered here.

Since last month my boat had been at a dealer in Port Charlotte waiting for Evinrude to re-open production so I could get a new G2 but I think we all know how that ended this week. Today I went and picked up the boat and brought it home. Now I'm thinking Mercury either the Pro xs 200 or regular 4 stroke 200. I'm not really sure what the differences are between them since I haven't had much time to research and haven't had time to get any quotes on them.

My question(s) are:
    1) Has anyone repowered with either model?
    2) What is a ballpark cost for either model?
    3) Does either model have the ability to switch between hotfoot and hand control?

I would like to stick with Mercury since it is American made but I'm not completely ruling out Yamaha or Suzuki just yet.
    First off, Thank you for your service!

I would highly recommend a Mercury PRO XS 4 Stroke V8 motor with the DTS included if you are looking for the motor to switch from hotfoot to regular throttle. It does require all new cables, hotfoot etc... but well worth it. To make a long story short, I had purchased the 225 DTS version to repower my old 2004 triton, but bought a new boat instead after it took a year to get my motor. A friend purchased the motor I had on order for his older ranger and he absolutely LOVES it! I am sure you will be highly satisfied with a purchase of a Mercury. I know I love mine! Good luck!

Michael
    2022 Triton TRX20 Patriot
    2024 Mercury PROXS 4-Stroke 250 3b435376
    HDS PRO 16, 12,
    Garmin 8616 w/ LVS34 Livescope
    Lowrance Ghost 52"
    MK 10' Raptors
    Fury 3 Blade
    DOBYNS RODS
    MERCURY PRO TEAM Member

Michael2277nh@gmail.com
    https://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w546/Michael2277nh/20190607_184215_zpsoosxfdsh.jpg

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ProXS version is your best bet for this application.

And- since you'll be re-rigging the boat for a Mercury ANYWAY... the DTS setup will be a little bit less of a "sticker shock" in that you were already going to be buying new rigging of one type or another. The DTS controls are a bit more costly, but the labor and install are a bit less cumbersome.

DTS is the only way you will have the "selectable" Hotfoot or Hand Control throttle.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor