Evinrude etec 200 HELP WANTED

Ok so I am having some starting And putting in to gear issues with my 2011 evinrude etec 200 2.6 V6. The motor will start, and when I put it in to gear will immediately shut off occasionally. I have replaced the exhaust back pressure fitting, cleaned brass restrictor, and replaced hosing for both due to carbon build up, replaced crankshaft sensor and throttle position sensor. On another note the boat always starts easier when it is hooked up to the hose and not in the water under load. Also I noticed that the boat will go in to gear without shutting off better when using A raker prop vs. tempest Both of which were 24P which is very odd to me. Possible exhaust build up maybe?? Boat has a poor holeshot but runs great once it gets high in rpms. Only other things I can think could be the issue is reed valves or injectors. I have had the boat serviced along with new plugs installed and indexed

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Any check codes?

3. Member
    No, I have had it hooked up to the computer 3 times now and nothing shows up

4. Member
    Hows the compression? sounds like my my 99 FICHT 200, i use to have to rev it up alittle and put it in gear to keep it from stalling. pain in a$$

Compression was bad on one cylinder, ran it till i had bad compression in 2 cylinders, then got a new Engine

5. Member
    I’m not sure honestly, I haven’t had the chance to check it. Being that the plugs have to be indexed and I have no experience doing that myself I’m kind of afraid to pull the plugs to do a compression check

Indexing plugs are nothing special. The experts say you only need one extra plug but I always found it easier to start with 12 plugs. Anyway, you want the little pointy thing on the plug to face as close as possible to the injector. Within 45 degree is okay. Mark the plug with a sharpy so you can see where the pointy thing is in relationship to the injector.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    Thanks, yea I’ll definitely look in to doing that. The motor is getting close to 800hrs so I would like to have that checked out

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Here's a video on how to do it it is pretty simple.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=322878

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Is this a salt water motor?

10. Member
    Thank you sir! No this a freshwater. Let me ask you guys this, if the spark plugs were not properly indexed could that be giving me the above symptoms I am having? I only ran the boat twice before having it serviced but I never had these issues before having it serviced. So now I’m wondering if the guy I took it to did not index them properly

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Yes sir it could....Pull the boots on a couple plugs and see if there is a sharpie mark on the plugs....

12. Member
    Yep, going to do that now

13. Member
    Plugs have definitely been indexed but there are two that are kind of questionable. I’m trying to post the pictures from my phone with no luck

Quote Originally Posted by Mxwes View Post
    Plugs have definitely been indexed but there are two that are kind of questionable.
    If those two plugs are on opposite banks, just swap them. You have 90° on either side of the injector, or 180° total of leeway to position the sparkplugs correctly. Most of the time if a plug does not index on one side (bank) of the engine, it will on the other side.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

15. Member
    Unfortunately both plugs are on the same bank. I ordered 8 new plugs so I’m going to do a compression check and go ahead and replace the plugs