rebuilding a powerhead

Can anyone give me a round about price on a powerhead rebuild on a 60 mariner 2 stroke? I know it will vary but I'm just looking for round about.

2. Member
    I had a merc 200 efi rebuilt and it was 6500$. Don’t know if price is different based on horsepower.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzehr75 View Post
    I had a merc 200 efi rebuilt and it was 6500$. Don’t know if price is different based on horsepower.
    My 200 was $6,000. Again I’m not sure if horsepower makes a difference either.

4. Member
    The Mariner 60 will not crank and has low compression in 1 cylinder. I am considering buying the boat but don't know if I will fix or replace with a different motor. Lots of people around my area swap to big outboards on their pontoon boats and end up selling the original. I appreciate the replies, any more?

5. Member
    Dang, 6 g's to rebuild? What all was needed... all six pistons, rods, honing all holes, milling the block, gaskets obviously. Whats the going rate for labor these days -- 80-120$ per hour?

Not wanting to sound like a smart azz, but really want to know as I would've never guessed it would be that much.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rdoubledog View Post
    Dang, 6 g's to rebuild? What all was needed... all six pistons, rods, honing all holes, milling the block, gaskets obviously. Whats the going rate for labor these days -- 80-120$ per hour?

Not wanting to sound like a smart azz, but really want to know as I would've never guessed it would be that much.
    No idea. That’s just what most places charge. I’m not much of a mechanic, but I know when I took my cowl off the motor there was a big hole in the side of the engine. I knew instantly it was over my head. Lol

You have probably not noticed how expensive these parts have become. Labor rate is only part of the expense. I think 120 per hour would be in the mid to lower range these days. The big problem is finding some one that can actually do it right, most have died or retired, There some out there but do not expect low prices from them, they deserve every penny they get and more. For most shops and consumers every one is better off installing a fully dressed powerhead as this assures the most likely cause of the failure has been replaced as well. This is especially more important with newer low emissions motors such as Optimax
    I don't consider 6500 a bad price at all, in fact, I would be more concerned that it was a little low meaning I would be receiving a inferior end product
    Hell I just charged a customer almost 1200 to replace a thermostat and valve cover gaskets on a Cadillac CTS. I remember time when I could have installed two small block chevy long blocks for that price
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-30-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    there was a big hole in the side of the engine.
    Forgot to add that in my original statement... welding the block up. Yeah, I could see how that would affect the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    You have probably not noticed how expensive these parts have become.
    You're right, I'm am disconnected on parts pricing as my last rebuild was an old 2 smoke 150 Mariner that ran about $7200 new in the day. For sake of conversation, I'd like to get a better understanding of the general costs (minus the 4S's). Oh, I'm with you when it comes to having a good mechanic and how hard they're to come by.

History... the last eight or so years its been mainly offshore and four strokes for me.

9. #FRB
    Honestly, for a 60hp Mariner rebuilding it wouldn't make financial sense. As long as the rest of the boat is still in good shape I would get it for a cheap as possible while constantly reminding the seller how much outboard motor repair/replacement costs these days. At this point you're buying a boat without a motor. Then keep an eye out for either a brand new bigger motor that maxes out the hp rating or a barely used one that checks out good and hopefully has some kind of warranty too.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10. Member
    if you buy the boat repower it. a mariner is not worth rebuilding.

I have no personal experience with them but this marine engine rebuilder has an impressive website and they list some preowned rebuilt engines so you can get a price feel.
    https://www.hydrotecmarine.com/pre-owned/

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

12. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I have no personal experience with them but this marine engine rebuilder has an impressive website and they list some preowned rebuilt engines so you can get a price feel.
    https://www.hydrotecmarine.com/pre-owned/
    They build some great motors. I'd trust them over just about anyone.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

13. Member
    I am going to make a offer on the boat and if he takes it I am going to repower it. Local boat shop has several outboard trade ins with warranty. Also going up to a 90hp instead of 60. Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    if you buy the boat repower it. a mariner is not worth rebuilding.
    A mariner is just a gray mercury, so you are saying a mercury is not worth rebuilding, exactly the same motors all parts are interchangeable with its counter part
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    Look at ten killer marine .com, I just did a 90 and I think it was 1600 with a lifetime warranty

16. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    A mariner is just a gray mercury, so you are saying a mercury is not worth rebuilding, exactly the same motors all parts are interchangeable with its counter part
    One time I checked the value of two identical motors except one was black and the other gray. The Mariner was worth a lot less than the Mercury for some reason even though there was no difference between the two motors under the paint.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

That is the reason many bassboats had mariners on them30 years ago, even the new ones were less money, The Mercury Black was worth more in the market place
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member

Yeah and I think $6k was on the light side; have heard $8k is going rate on at 250. Not sure of your finances, but I always just suggest a new motor. You put all that money into a powerhead, yet everything else is still old and subject to fail.
    2018 Ranger 521C, 2023 Merc 250 Pro XS 4S (3B261295), 36V Ultrex, 10" Atlas, Power Poles, Lowrance 12 Carbon, and 2-12 Lives.

19. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick2268 View Post
    Yeah and I think $6k was on the light side; have heard $8k is going rate on at 250. Not sure of your finances, but I always just suggest a new motor. You put all that money into a powerhead, yet everything else is still old and subject to fail.
    Yup, lots of people get bit in the ass by a rebuilt powerhead with old electrical parts around it. I'll never go that route again.
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Ultrex

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Yup, lots of people get bit in the ass by a rebuilt powerhead with old electrical parts around it. I'll never go that route again.
    Totally agree with this.....