Thread: Pets and Food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pets and Food.

If manufactured pet food didn't exist would you still have a pet dog and or cat? Think about the amount of effort and expense it would take to feed them without manufactured food for them. Thought popped into my mind when thinking about just how unhealthy their food is with all the additives and supplements added to it to make it suitable for them.

2. Member
    After seeing what the people on some of the Alaska reality shows have to do to feed their dogs that get very little store bought food if any I could probably do it for a couple of dogs but no way I could keep up with 25 like they are. I had a Golden Retriever several years ago that in his old age I had to prepare special food for him. boiled chicken, lamb and rice, I was happy to do it for him in return for the many years of love he gave us.
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Been making our own dog food for a couple years now. We make a pup-loaf every two weeks. I'm not sure on costs, but it helps that I kill about 10 deer a year, lots of ducks and catch plenty of fish. We have two dogs, both around 40, 45 lbs.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    Parents and sister started making food for their dogs. Really improved the health of all their dogs. Before they were all over weight etc and after some time they all slimmed down and are in great health.

5. Member
    I do think it is much better for them but with mine I would be tired of fixing food and broke like a convict also.

6. Banned
    Interesting thought but have no pets now.

7. #FRB
    Absolutely. All dogs love boiled chicken My dog also hunts and eats critters too. Can't say I agree with some of her practices but she comes from a long line of underfed dogs that had to catch what they could in the pin. Even seen her eating dirt for some reason. Pulled her and her two brothers nearly half dead from starving away from the pack up the road and the momma dog was known for big litters so who knows how many DIDN'T survive when we got to them!
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    Na. Hell I’d cook mine a pack a chicken breast, some rice, and a few Veggies. Do that once a and shred it all up into a big container with a lid. Just feed me all week out of that
    My wife did this exact thing for a few years. The first couple of shits they took caught me off guard, with all the rice in it.

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Been making our own dog food for a couple years now. We make a pup-loaf every two weeks. I'm not sure on costs, but it helps that I kill about 10 deer a year, lots of ducks and catch plenty of fish. We have two dogs, both around 40, 45 lbs.
    I didn’t know Maryland had that big of a deer population. What kind of bag limit do they have?
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

10. Member
    When I was a kid, dogs ate our leftovers.

11. Member
    I've been making home dog food for a couple years now.

12. Member
    My granny had a yard full of dogs, and I assure you they never bought a dime’s worth of dog food. They ate what ever was left over, however much of it there was. Those that couldn't fight their way to the food bowl went without. Every week or so one would get run over out on the highway or get shot for stealing a chicken, but within a day or three there’d be another dog to replace it.

They never did much of anything to keep them separated of one of the females went into heat either. Pretty sad thinking back on it, to be honest. Hard country folk too busy working.

-b-

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    When I was a kid, dogs ate our leftovers.
    Grandparents fed the coon dogs leftovers. But as to the original question, I probably would not own a dog if I couldn't buy dog food.

Originally I probably wouldn't have my cat. But if it happened today after I love my cat I would without doubt feed her.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    If manufactured pet food didn't exist would you still have a pet dog and or cat? Think about the amount of effort and expense it would take to feed them without manufactured food for them. Thought popped into my mind when thinking about just how unhealthy their food is with all the additives and supplements added to it to make it suitable for them.
    My dogs have lived off Purina dry nuggets since puppies, 1 cup per day. 17 & 13, zero health issues, perfect weight, 1 solid poop/day. Don't overthink animal food, easy peasy
    Greg
    Edgewater 245CC

Have been making our dog’s food the last two dogs we’ve had and the same for our duel residency grand dog

Easy & cheap. Either ground beef, chicken, lots of eggs and a steamed bag of California blend veggies (broccoli, cauliflower & carrots) Dogs don’t need corn or grains, they’ll thrive on protein & clean water. If your dog suffers from skin problems, the first thing you need to eliminate is the grains.
    Ranting incoherently

17. Member
    Growing up, our dogs thrived on table scraps.

Our 16 yr old dachshund eats chicken and rice. Has for many years. It's a pain. But he's got a really sensitive tummy. Got some patte from pet store to mix in. His stubborn ol azz recently decided he didn't want plain chicken and rice anymore.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

Yes. We have plenty of dead chickens to feed them

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Parents and sister started making food for their dogs. Really improved the health of all their dogs. Before they were all over weight etc and after some time they all slimmed down and are in great health.
    My parents had the exact same experience. I argue they dont add any sodium but so far over the years it seems to not have been a big deal. All the treats they give him probably have enough sodium as you dont need much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast