Setting up NMEA with Lowrance HDS9 Gen 3.

Hey guys,,

i am wanting to utilize the engine gauges (not sure what they are really called) on my console HDS9 while running. I am new to Lowrance and not real sure exactly what I will need. My boat is a 2016 Bullet 21XRS with a 2016 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250. All of my gauges are factory installed smartcraft gauges. Can anyone tell me or point me toward documentation that will tell me what I would need to buy and install to be able to make this work.

I am sure that this has been asked a million times, but I haven't found much in searching.

Brad

2. Member
    If I were you I would contact board sponsor European Marine. They are very knowledgeable on this subject and can get you what you need. I think what you need is called a nema gateway (not sure). Tell them you are BBC for discount

3. Member
    Thanks jumping jimmy, I didn't think about European Marine. I have used Don in the past many times. I am about an hours drive from his shop. I will look into this if I cannot figure it out on my own.

Brad

4. Member
    I would get expert advice. There are NMEA compatible Mercury gauges and there are some that require a gateway. Don will be able to tell you just what you need.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

5. Member
    Thanks guys, I will go that route and see where it takes me.

6. Bigshooter51
    I just set my Mercury Vessel View system up on my boat 250hp 2-stroke pro xs and all of your Mercury gauges are shown on your Lowrance MFD while running water pressure and everything else . I bought everything on e-bay the vessel view module Part # 8M0110639 for single engine installation along with a Mercury junction box kit 4-way part
    # 878492K14 for the smart craft connections and a Mercury part # 8M011670 harness vessellink power cable. The instructions come with the vessel view link and it is plug and play not to hard at all to install. You need to add a T connector to your NEMA backbone for power but it all comes with the kit . The only down side of this installation it s a lot of money to invest just to display all of your Mercury data on your Lowrance MFD it was close to $700.00 total for parts and I did the install myself by the way you'll save money on the system if you use e-bay

7. Member
    There are Mercury gauges which are NMEA ready and connect directly into the network without the gateway. Since we don’t know what gauges he has, it’s better he speak with an expert about what is needed.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Jones View Post
    I just set my Mercury Vessel View system up on my boat 250hp 2-stroke pro xs and all of your Mercury gauges are shown on your Lowrance MFD while running water pressure and everything else . I bought everything on e-bay the vessel view module Part # 8M0110639 for single engine installation along with a Mercury junction box kit 4-way part
    # 878492K14 for the smart craft connections and a Mercury part # 8M011670 harness vessellink power cable. The instructions come with the vessel view link and it is plug and play not to hard at all to install. You need to add a T connector to your NEMA backbone for power but it all comes with the kit . The only down side of this installation it s a lot of money to invest just to display all of your Mercury data on your Lowrance MFD it was close to $700.00 total for parts and I did the install myself by the way you'll save money on the system if you use e-bay
    Or maybe not... There are some BBC sponsors that can set you up in this system quite reasonably (and even offer install support/assistance).

Brad- we can set you up too.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hi Don, Thanks for the response. My last two boats were in your shop a few times, so I guess it is time for this one to make the trip. =)

I will call Rhonda and tell her what I have and what I want to do so that she can order what is needed and schedule me a visit.

Brad