Thread: 5 x 4.25?

5 x 4.25?

I am ordering a new trailer. They don't offer good selection of wheel upgrades but will let me ship them wheels of my choice and give me a credit and mount before I pick up. The problem is they are telling me I need to buy a 5 x 4.25 wheel size. 99% of what I see is 5 x 4.5. Anybody know a place or suggestion?

Thats oddball bolt pattern for sure. I would double check with them before buying anything. Are you sure they are 5 lug hubs?

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It’s not such an odd pattern for cars, but it is for a boat trailer. I’d be worried about difficulty getting hub parts because I doubt they get them from the common manufacturers.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I'm guessing they are not measuring correctly.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

5. Member
    I'm guessing they are not measuring correctly.
    That was my thoughts also.

That would be an odd bird for repairs like CatFan mentioned.

6. Member
    I’ve double checked with trailer manufacturer and they’ve confirmed. I have seen converters to get you to 5x4.5. Or I might ask about an axle change. It’s just odd for a new major trailer brand. I was hoping it was more common than what my research was revealing. It’s actually Ameretrail Aluminum Trailers in Florida

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    I’ve double checked with trailer manufacturer and they’ve confirmed. I have seen converters to get you to 5x4.5. Or I might ask about an axle change. It’s just odd for a new major trailer brand. I was hoping it was more common than what my research was revealing. It’s actually Ameretrail Aluminum Trailers in Florida
    I’m still skeptical. Every single 5 lug brake drum, rotor or kit they sell on their parts page is 4.5” spacing. I’d ask for the part numbers for the axles and brakes they are using on your trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I’m still skeptical. Every single 5 lug brake drum, rotor or kit they sell on their parts page is 4.5” spacing. I’d ask for the part numbers for the axles and brakes they are using on your trailer.
    Good catch. I’ll call them on Monday. Talking to someone is another challenge but 1 step at a time.

9. Banned
    FWIW. I had them build a trailer for me in February while vacationing in Florida. The trailer that came with my 2005 Nitro NX882 started showing some structural problems due to rust so I figured it was about time. I had just mounted some fancy new wheels on the old trailer and had them use them for the new trailer. No problem (5x4.5).As far as talking to someone, I found them very responsive. I even got a call sometime after returning to Massachusetts to see how I liked my new trailer. Looks good and tows like a dream.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlake View Post
    FWIW. I had them build a trailer for me in February while vacationing in Florida. The trailer that came with my 2005 Nitro NX882 started showing some structural problems due to rust so I figured it was about time. I had just mounted some fancy new wheels on the old trailer and had them use them for the new trailer. No problem (5x4.5).As far as talking to someone, I found them very responsive. I even got a call sometime after returning to Massachusetts to see how I liked my new trailer. Looks good and tows like a dream.

Thanks Marlake. I am going to call parts tomorrow. The current problem I think is 1. Virus related to some degree and 2. They have a lady answering the phone that runs it like she is protecting the president. She runs cover unlike any secretary I have ever seen in 30 years of business.

11. Member
    Those diagrams on how to measure seem to me to try to make the job harder and more prone to error. If I were to measure the distance between holes I would not start from an imaginary center point I'd go from edge to same edge of the other hole if the holes are straight across.

12. Member
    Confirmed 5 x 4.5.

Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Confirmed 5 x 4.5.
    I knew it.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

14. Member
    My guess is they seem very short handed and somebody got assigned to answer the question way down the totem pole and he probably actually went and physically measured and just got all messed up. Guy I talked to today was a long term employee and the question was a no brainer.