Electrical issues

I hope someone out there has had this issue and I can eliminate an issue I have had 3 times now. I have a 2013 Z521 and recently re-powered with a 2020 Mercury 250 4 stroke. The motor has 10 hours on it. On one of my trips I was running wide open twice and all things electrical went dead and the only way I could get the motor re-started is by turning the main power off and back on. A couple days ago I go fishing and the same thing happens again. After I turned power switch in the back off and on then the mercury smart craft gauge goes into alarm after 2 minutes....Low oil level.....overheating....Both are wrong because I no longer have 2 cycle and the motor had only been running a couple minutes. I reset power and mercury smart craft gauge says system okay but it still shows the 2 alarms. I ended up unplugging the gauge and ran fine the rest of the day with no issues. Anyone experienced this? I am thinking the gauge or the touch panel is going out.

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Ryan, you may want to copy this post over to the electrical/wiring forum or the Mercury engines forum, or both. I’m no electrical expert, but it sounds like there might be an interface problem with your new engine’s electronics. Of course, you could be right, and the issue is in the boat itself. But either way, the wiring/electrical or Mercury forum experts should be able to give you options or advice. Since your post is fairly long, I can help you by copying the entire thing over to one or both of those forums, if you wish. Just give me a shout. — JC
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    When you went to reset the breaker was it tripped? If so you either have a bad breaker or something is causing an overload
    Comanche20 (Don)
    2008 Ranger Z 20, 225 RUDE
    Ultrex 45/36/112
    2 Birds
    2020 F150 LIMITED Eco Boost

4. Member
    A few years ago, my buddy had a 520 and the main breaker was mounted on an uneven surface and causing it to trip randomly. He put a piece of flat, hard material in the locker and remounted it. No more problem.

5. Member
    The breaker did not trip the main power switch in the back is what I have to turn off and back on

Newly Repowered? Check all newly installed connections for tightness.

7. Member
    Yeah I did not see anything loose.....