Thread: Fortex 112

Fortex 112

Just bought a boat in January and finally got it out for the first couple times. It has a 112lb Fortex but the thrust doesn’t seem right so it’s either the trolling motor or the batteries and need to troubleshoot. Every 80lb trolling motor I’ve had when fully charge and you put it on full power will almost throw you out of the boat and with mine it seems to barely move the boat. The boat is a 96 BassCat Erya and the batteries go to full charge after plugging them in with a Minnkota 4 bank charger with no errors. Just wondering where to start troubleshooting because I fish a lake that is electric only it it took forever to get across the lake running from a storm. Max speed has been about 1.2 mph which seems low on 100. The batteries are Duracell group 34 marked with a date of 3/18 so I wouldn’t think they are bad already.

3. Member
    Those batteries are really small for a 36V trolling motor. I say that cause usually a 36V motor is on a fairly heavy boat and batteries with a 120 RC are not going to last long. When you charge them, do they show charged pretty quick. If they do, that is a sign that one or both is bad and isn't holding full capacity. To check, charge batteries completely. Take boat out and after about an hour, check the voltage. They should both read apx the same and not show much discharge. Also, you show two batteries. Do you have a third, or is the cranking battery being used as the third battery.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

There is a third just couldn’t get a good picture of it, it’s the same as the other two and the boat has a separate battery as the starting battery.

Just checked and two of the batteries are in maintenance mode and one is still charging this is after putting it on the charger last night.

Just checked the voltage on the batteries and one is showing about 6.2 and the other two are 13.1. Would the one bad battery cause it not to allow full power?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonmj View Post
    Just checked the voltage on the batteries and one is showing about 6.2 and the other two are 13.1. Would the one bad battery cause it not to allow full power?
    Absolutely !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents