Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hull blister question.

Just curious how long someone thinks a 16 Triton could stay in the water occasionally without having hull blisters. a week, two weeks, etc at a time then pulling it out and letting it dry.

2. Member
    Freshwater or brackish water?

There’s no set time....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    Freshwater. I realize there is no definitive time. However some may have some insight.

5. Member
    I know that my 2006 TR 186 develop them pretty badly. I’m sorry I can’t give you any insight because I have no idea how this boat was handled because I only owned it for a little over a year and a half before I bought my new boat. I am curious about two things, first have they did anything with a newer boats to prevent this from happening, secondly, what can be done to prevent it?

I’ve had boats that’s spent the minority of there lives tied up in a marina 6 months out of a year with no issues and then see one a few years old that never sat in water just on wet bunks on the trailer and it would be blistered up...
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    In 2014 I found my 2004 TR196 had them bad under the bunks and some popped. My boat was garage kept too. I had insurance meet me at the dealer in an attempt to get them covered. The adjusters report deemed them a manufacturer's defect / inferior materials used. I knew I was screwed when the adjuster was looking at the underside of my boat. He actually said he saw two other Tritons recently with the same issue.

As for preventing this from happening I have heard guys putting fans underneath their boats once they get home. Not sure that would make much difference because I'm not sure how the air would get in between the wet bunk and the boat.
    Brad Krone

8. Member
    Yeah I was thinking leaving the boat in the water for say 2 weeks is probably no different then someone that goes fishing 5 or 6 times in those 2 weeks and the boat sits on wet bunks.

As for fans I do that. While not as good as some who jack their boat up to dry I do think if you dry the outside of the bunks it does give someplace for the wet carpet under the boat to eventually seep to and dry out.

That prolly wouldn’t hurt it buttttt I’d hate to leave it in the water if I didn’t have to.
    www.ncboatguy.com

I’ve said this before and I still for the life of me can’t understand why boat and trailer manufacturers keep using carpeted bunks! This is a well known issue with all brands and types, for the love of god, use a different product on the bunks. Don’t even use wood to start with, use composite. If gatorbak make a product that eliminates this, surely if all Trailer’s makers were using it, the mass volume would lower the cost substantially and at worst, make it an option on new boats and trailers
    Last edited by thommo59; 05-31-2020 at 03:16 AM.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

I recall reading mixed reviews on the gatorbak bunks? Seems that some said they really scratched up the bottom or held grit in the grooves or something like that. Could be mistaken.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    Yes gatorbaks and dirt roads don't mix well. I had some on one of my boats and it scratched the hell out of the bottom in just a couple trips. I quickly got rid of them. In addition the company and myself had a dispute over this and they wouldn't accept a return even though their website guaranteed not to scratch the boat. I ended up shipping them back to them and disputed the charge on my cc. This was the first time I had to do something like this and will be the last time I ever deal with that company

13. Member
    Heres my post that has pictures and everything. Be sure to read my post on page 3 with the email I got from the company.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=788908

Thats right i remember now that was a mess.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Member
    So Gatorbaks are obviously out based on performance and especially customer service. What are other options?

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    So Gatorbaks are obviously out based on performance and especially customer service. What are other options?
    Kindof curious myself.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

17. Member
    My 02 Triton has blisters all over and they have been popped for years. Have not noticed any negative effects except it looking ugly underwater with a mask in clear water
    Only thing I see working is gator baks or lifting the boat off the trailer after every use
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

18. Member
    My 06 TR20X had them bad. Brought to Dallas area had a gator hull (Lake Fork Fiberglass) put on and have not noticed any effect on performance.

19. Member
    I still can’t believe the boat manufacturers are not responsible for the blister issues. If you bought a new vehicle and the paint chipped or faded, they would have to make it right. When you are buying the boat they push lifetime hull warranty. Bull crap . I fought the blister issue with Triton and the insurance. Neither was at fault according to them. Never fixed the blisters because I was quoted $3000. I did install gator baks since, seems to be a good product and customer service was great.

20. Member
    Gatorbaks all the way! Have had mine on for about 4 years after I had my hull blisters fixed. You may get some surface scuffing just like you will from sand and rock in carpet but it's under the bunks and you don't see it unless you get under the boat in the water. Hell of a lot better then paying 3 to 5 grand to fix blisters or delam.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast