Thread: Replacement PCM

Replacement PCM

1. 2B013378
    2. 2013/Mercury/Pro XS

Getting no signal from the PCM. Tracked down every wire/ground/fuse/relay I could find with no avail.

Does anyone have a trusted company that sells replacement PCMs?

Thanks

Specifically what signal is missing, I would be very surprised if the PCM is bad. There is a lot help here if you provide detailed information to help narrow it down. I sure would not replace it until the system is scanned for codes and freeze frame failures
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-29-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    I have a PCM with around 40 hours on it. PM me if you want to purchase it.

4. Member
    I have it in a shop right now waiting to hook it up to the computer. If it’s bad I’ll send you a dm. Do I not need a 2013 pcm?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There's no such thing as a "2013 PCM". What you would need (assuming your PCM is actually bad) is the CORRECT PCM for your engine.

8M0063455 is the only CORRECT PCM for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you! Are they basically plug and play or do they need to be flashed before use?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Plug and play with the CORRECT part. Keep in mind that new PCM's automatically show up in BREAKIN mode (you will have to expire the break-in clock, and should be prepared with TWICE the amount of oil you usually use).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Not to hijack my own thread but I was reading some older info trying to figure out why my vessel view wasn’t turning on.

At the harness I need 12v between red and black / purple and black with the key on.

When I tested this about a week ago purple did not have 12v. Could this be the same problem that’s causing this no start?

Thanks Don

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes sir- sure could.

Check your LANYARD SWITCH (first).

10. Member
    Just replaced the lanyard switch in hopes that was it. Double checked the wiring should be gtg. Where should the purple wire be getting power? Looks like it leads back to the pcm.

Quote Originally Posted by Navarrefisher View Post
    Just replaced the lanyard switch in hopes that was it. Double checked the wiring should be gtg. Where should the purple wire be getting power? Looks like it leads back to the pcm.
    Brick it is really not a good idea to replace parts to Lets See If (LSI), Much, better to test and confirm to have confidence that another day on the water is not spoiled, I have seen this more times than I can count where this aproach has been used. I end having to diag and repair several built in problems in the process of repairing what was once a simple problem. Consumer ending up with a lot more money invested in the end. Very rarly unless issue is an very inttermittiant problem should this aproach be used
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes sir- sure could.

Check your LANYARD SWITCH (first).
    Purple is always 'key switch on' power.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silvertalon View Post
    Purple is always 'key switch on' power.
    +1

And on many later outboards it is wired through the Lanyard Switch.

If there is no power on the purple wire circuit- the PCM will not "wake", and there will be no fuel or ignition system function.

14. Member
    Alright to finally put this one to bed. The vast majority of opinions were correct, it was not a PCM issue.

Don hit the nail on the head with the purple wire not providing 12v to “wake” the PCM.

Traced the wire all the way back and somewhere between the ignition and the PCM it lost 12v. I hot wired it and PCM came right up and started immediately.

Thanks everyone for all the help. Looks like I’ll be doing some rewiring here shorty.

15. Member
    Don,

Thinking about replacing the harness from the ignition to the 14 pin plug on the motor based on me not being able to find the cause of the purple wire losing 12v.

Im guessing it somewhere within the hull that I can’t see.

Do you have a part number by any chance?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, because length, harness type and keyswitch type all are factored into the correct part number. Best to contact Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of the Forum).

Make sure that this circuit is connected/closed at the lanyard switch.