Thread: prop

prop

I have finally ordered my Suzuki 250ss for my Triton 21HP. A few months ago I picked up a 27p and 28p Suzuki 4 blade prop for a really good price. When I took the prop to the dealer today so he could look at it to order the prop bushing he said "That is a small bore prop". I hadn't paid that much attention to the bore just looked at the blades. I am assuming these props are the Turbo OT4 style props. Those of you that have run this style prop, did you have to use a blow out ring due to the smaller hub?

2. Member
    I currently have a 28P version and had zero issues with it blowing out. When I originally got it, I didn't think it would work and was going to sell it. However, Mark from Mark's props recommended that I try running it first and glad I did. Plus I believe OT4 are over and through props as well, so they are supposed to vent like that.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I never thought about the through hub part. It does have the solid hub. It has to be all over the hub. Are you happy with the way yours performs?

4. Member
    I’m happy with the prop and get better throttle response and top end with it. However, my boat chine walks easier with it. I just don’t run it that much because I’m not comfortable driving through a chine yet.

5. Member
    Booter, what outboard was on your boat before the Suzuki and what prop did you run? Just trying to get an idea which prop to start with. I had a 250 Optimas Pro XS with a 25p fury 3 blade before.

6. Randy Walker
    Fishingteach, congrats on your motor purchase.. I just sent payment off today for the 250SS as well. I'm kind of in the same boat you are.... I have a Yamaha 250 HPDI and have always run the T1-25 that was designed for that motor... but was told by everyone the Suzuki is going to be a bigger prop for sure... no more 25P.. haha.. I'm having a Suzuki 4-blade 29P prop ordered and starting there personally. I have a buddy with the 250SS on a Phoenix that weighs the same as my boat dry weight, however he and I prob pack our boats different.. but I also talked to a guy with an iclass like I got and a 250SS and he also is running the 4 blade 29P and has not bothered looking for anything else because it's performing well for him right now with good RPM and not hitting the rev limiter. I figure I'll pick up a spare prop as well, but I'm starting with a 4 - 29P... always interested in what is working for others too...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingteach View Post
    Booter, what outboard was on your boat before the Suzuki and what prop did you run? Just trying to get an idea which prop to start with. I had a 250 Optimas Pro XS with a 25p fury 3 blade before.
    I had an 06 225 Mercury Pro XS and I was running a 25P Tempest Plus and a 3 bladed Fury 24 with extra vent holes. The tempest plus is what came with the boat when I purchased it and it was in rough shape. The previous owner thought you needed to sharpen the blades of the prop to make it work better. The Fury prop was pretty good and was able to run 70 with it.

8. Member
    I just bought a new 200 DF not the SS model. The only difference I found between the 2 was the L/U ratio and $1000. Anyhow I have a 27 pitch 4 blade with the smaller hub and ordered a prop ring for it, haven't tried it yet. Still using the 3 blade 16 inch diameter 23.5 prop. I haven't passed the 4000 RPM time yet, but as of now it gives me about 1 MPH per 100 Revolutions. At 3000 it does 30 GPS, 4000 gives me 40, and I suppose 61 MPH at 6100, but I haven't opened it up yet.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingteach View Post
    I never thought about the through hub part. It does have the solid hub. It has to be all over the hub. Are you happy with the way yours performs?
    So, I put the Suzuki 14.5 28P OT4 style hub on with the smaller barrel on again just to see if I would like after having it blue printed this past winter. Hole shot and mid range is good, however, my top end suffered and I was only to reach maybe 67 and my boat started chine walking and felt bogged down.

Last weekend, I tried an older Suzuki 14 3/4 29P 3 Bladed prop and I was actually surprised how well it performed. Hole shot was adequate, but I was able to push past 70 for the first time and not feel out of control with reduced bow lift. Plus I was able to get my RPMS past 6100 as well while my 250SS struggles with any of my 4 bladed props that put on it to even touch 6K rpms.