Question Chasing surging RPM issue in 2000 Optimax 225. Is there a tracker valve gasket?

Fuel Pressure 90psi. Air Pressure 80 psi. Both readings remain the same long after shutdown (air side loses about 5 psi after 10 minutes).

Symptom - Motor surges about 600rpm (3100 down to 2500 and back almost instantly).

What I've tried:
    Fuel / Air pressure delta
    New Plugs
    Swapped Tracker valve from port motor (running fine) to strbd motor (no change and the problem didn't follow the part).
    Sprayed carb cleaner around all connections and hoses to look for vacuum leaks (none found).

What I just observed: My fitting on my pressure gauge leaked a little gasoline as I was checking it and it ran down on the tracker valve cover and....bubbles! Would a leak around the base of the tracker valve housing have the same effect as a leaking tracker valve (seems to me that it would)?

What is supposed to be used to seal that housing? I saw no evidence of a gasket/sealant.

Thank,
    Richard

1999 Mako 282
    Port - 2006 Optimax 225 Ser. # 1B447039
    Stbd - 2000 Optimax 225 Ser. # 0T054331

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, and the DIAPHRAGM (as well as a small o-ring over one port) are what seal the cover. If there are leaks around the cover- one or the other is leaking.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thank you very much. Since the time I posted, I removed the Tracker again, cleaned the mating surface with some 2000 grit sandpaper then reinstalled and retested. Bubbles are gone. Won't know if it helped my surging issue until I run it again tomorrow. If the problem persists, where would you suggest I look next? In addition to the measures taken in my original post, I've also swapped fuel lines from one motor to the other with no change (fuel system consists of one tank into one water separator then branched to both motors).

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Yes, and the DIAPHRAGM (as well as a small o-ring over one port) are what seal the cover. If there are leaks around the cover- one or the other is leaking.
    Last edited by bigoilman; 05-30-2020 at 09:46 AM.

4. Member
    Update: I'm leaning more toward a TPS issue. Still surged yesterday. Initially worse than before. Since I had a good "First Mate" with me, he worked that throttle back and forth rapidly for about 30 seconds and the RPM stabilized almost completely. Same on our return trip (but didn't require the throttle manipulation). Once we were back in the bayou and out of the Gulf, I actually opened her up and did a full throttle pull and it didn't hesitate at all. TPS issue, perhaps?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quite possibly. TPS voltage sweep test (when acting up), and review of the Run History & Freeze Frame (Fault) History are what is normally used to diagnose TPS problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Updating (because I can't stand people who don't update their findings! LOL). New fuel lines throughout, cleaned the VST twice, and in the end it was a weak Pulse Pump. Rebuilt it and she now runs WOT (5200 RPM as propped). Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigoilman View Post
    Updating (because I can't stand people who don't update their findings! LOL). New fuel lines throughout, cleaned the VST twice, and in the end it was a weak Pulse Pump. Rebuilt it and she now runs WOT (5200 RPM as propped). Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.
    Now you can install a much SMALLER pitched prop.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Now you can install a much SMALLER pitched prop.
    What would you recommend? These are 19P Mirage Plus.

9. Member
    17P

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    17P
    Thanks. I haven't experimented with the props. Boat is heavy, heavy. What would you expect RPM to be?

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    About 5600 (Approximately)