Lost brake pad on 2014 Marine Master Triton trailer

My 2014 Marine Master Triton tandem trailer lost the inside brake pad. There is a steel part flopping against the rotor. What pad is needed and who sells them? Do I have to remove the rotor and Vault Hub to get in to fix it? Any help would be great. Thanks Mark in Pa.

If you have UFP DB-35 calipers, you can use 1996 to 2000 Kia Sophia front brake pads if you can find them in an automotive store. UFP pads can bought at most online marine trailer merchants. The hub does not need to be removed to replace the brake pads, just the calipers. Might as well do both ends of the axle.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Very common problem. The brake pad separates from the brake pad metal backing (delamination). The bonding agent stops bonding! I had it happen and changed all my pads to the ones listed above for the Kia. No problems since.

4. Member
    Here is a link to the UFP replacement pads for the DB35 brakes on my Ranger trailer. Mine had also delaminated.

https://www.easternmarine.com/ufp-go...-pad-set-31766

i would assume that these pads want solve the problem but will get you back going. My plan is to change them often. Lots of wear left on my pads but one pad had come unglued.
    2015 Ranger Z520C Yamaha 250

5. Member
    That's why you buy the Kia pads so it wont happen again and tear stuff up!

6. Member
    If you find the Kia pads at your local auto parts store ensure you purchase organic pads. DO NOT purchase semi-metallic or you will be replacing them a lot sooner than you think. Metal in the pads will rust and cause them to fall apart.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    If you find the Kia pads at your local auto parts store ensure you purchase organic pads. DO NOT purchase semi-metallic or you will be replacing them a lot sooner than you think. Metal in the pads will rust and cause them to fall apart.
    That makes no sense. Cars drive in wet conditions

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    That makes no sense. Cars drive in wet conditions
    There was another thread on this issue not to long ago with those it happened to.

9. Member
    Okay, I have the new pads, so now I take the wheel off, take the 2 black plastic caps off the back of caliper, allen screw ….now I'm lost. Any help? There is a steel plate (maybe a holder) flopping in there. It won't fall out.

There are 2 bolts that hold the caliper in place on the axle flange. The flange has 4 holes, the DB35 only uses 2 of them. Pics with and without the caliper on the hub.

Here's some tools I got from Harbor Freight to make the job a little easier.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1058615

11. Member
    Thanks, good photos. I've had those bolts back out on a 2008 Marine Master years ago.

12. Member
    BobG

Do you know the size of the hex tool?

Thankss

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    BobG

Do you know the size of the hex tool?

Thankss
    I just went in my garage and looked at mine, the hex bolts holding the entire caliper to the trailer are 9/16. As BobG said it's two hex bolts holding the caliper to the trailer, and that's all you need to remove in order to remove the caliper. The clips are what hold the brake pads in place. Ensure you put blue thread lock on the 9/16 hex bolts and torque them to 55 ft/lbs.

Edit: Added Information: The allen bolts you do not need to remove (the ones in the rubber boot with plastic cap) but if you already removed them they are a size 7 on mine. I don't know what these are torqued to, I cannot find much information on them. I called Dexter / UFP last week and they said to remove the entire caliper by removing the two hex bolts holding the entire caliper to the trailer not the two allen bolts.
    Last edited by Hooked247; 06-09-2020 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Added information

If you have allen head bolts holding the caliper to the trailer flange, it will be 3/8”.

15. Member
    Is a UFP DB 35 brake caliper the screw in type piston?