Trailer Brake Issues

I have a 2015 Z9 and when I back up on any kind of incline the brakes want to grab - on my older Nitro I could drop the pin in to prevent the brakes from engaging....what am I missing as this hitch does not have a place to put the pin.

Thanks in advance
    C4F

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Likely you have a fuse blown in your truck for trailer backup lights.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 4 Fishin View Post
    I have a 2015 Z9 and when I back up on any kind of incline the brakes want to grab - on my older Nitro I could drop the pin in to prevent the brakes from engaging....what am I missing as this hitch does not have a place to put the pin.

Thanks in advance
    C4F
    Can you provide a photo of your coupler ... both sides and top? Is you lights plug a flat 4-pin or a round 7 pin plug?
    2018 Nitro Z18
    175 HP Merc ProXs
    16ft Monark - all Electric (70#bow, 2x45# stern)

4. Member
    Thanks catfan - I will check that once I get home.....Booster - I will get a pic posted once I get home but I use a flat to round adapter to plug into my Tundra

C4F

Fuse or a problem with the connector, I have had a blow out reverse solenoid line one time. U'd notice that cause u would be out of fluid.

Of course the solenoid going bad is another possibility. An easy test is when they lock up get out of the truck, in park with lights on. Use one of the lights pins and plug it into the reverse plug.
    Last edited by BMCD; 06-02-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    My 2011 Z8 trailer has a pin that goes in the side. When did they switch from surge to electric brakes??

Quote Originally Posted by Gonewild View Post
    My 2011 Z8 trailer has a pin that goes in the side. When did they switch from surge to electric brakes??
    They are not electric brakes. There is an electric solenoid at the back end of the actuator that is powered by your back-up lights. This locks out the Surge Actuator so you can back up. That wire is usually blue and is usually the center pin of a 7 Pin round connector. Even though there is an electric solenoid, there still should be a mechanical mechanism to lock out the actuator. Some use a flat magnetic plug about the side of a quarter, others us a pull pin. This is why I asked for photos of you coupler. Look up the model number of the actuator.. something like UFP A-60, or TDE 800LP, located near the ball latch.
    2018 Nitro Z18
    175 HP Merc ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Booster View Post
    They are not electric brakes. There is an electric solenoid at the back end of the actuator that is powered by your back-up lights. This locks out the Surge Actuator so you can back up. That wire is usually blue and is usually the center pin of a 7 Pin round connector. Even though there is an electric solenoid, there still should be a mechanical mechanism to lock out the actuator. Some use a flat magnetic plug about the side of a quarter, others us a pull pin. This is why I asked for photos of you coupler. Look up the model number of the actuator.. something like UFP A-60, or TDE 800LP, located near the ball latch.
    This is 100% correct

9. Member
    Thanks Booster, I learned something new today. I move my boat with the tractor quite often and would be screwed without a lockout pin as its up hill to garage.

10. Member
    20200529_182233_resized.jpg20200529_182245_resized.jpgHere is the coupler...I will check the fuses to make sure that they are working.

Thanks
    C4F

11. Member
    Pin hole is just above where the safety cable goes into frame, same as my 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy 4 Fishin View Post
    20200529_182233_resized.jpg20200529_182245_resized.jpgHere is the coupler...I will check the fuses to make sure that they are working.

Thanks
    C4F
    Your coupler appears to be compressed (Brakes engaged). Pull the coupler (silver latch area) out from the trailer frame. It should pull out with some resistance maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. In my photo I have bolt inserted as my lock-out pin because I don't have an electrical connection from my truck to the lockout solenoid. The coupler should be occasionally lubed.

IMG_20200215_170114362_LI.jpg
    2018 Nitro Z18
    175 HP Merc ProXs

13. Member
    My 2016 Z21 trailer was doing this. BassPro service replaced the actuator and that fixed the problem.

14. Member
    Coupler should move easily in the tube. Should be able to pull it from the compressed position with minimal effort.
    2020 Nitro Z20 250 Pro XS

15. Member
    Well....sorry about the late reply.....you guys are damn smart...i looked at that hitch forever and didnt see the hole. Works fine now.

C4F

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbass View Post
    Coupler should move easily in the tube. Should be able to pull it from the compressed position with minimal effort.
    All the Nitros I have owned, the one time it was easy to move the actuator is when the internal piston shock was bad. Otherwise it takes some force.

Just got to isolate where the problem is, Start on one side truck or boat, and verify where you have power. Like I stated earlier its very easy to test the solenoid.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

17. Member
    I can't tell from the photos if you have a straight 4 plug coming off the trailer, or a straight 5 like I have. I obtained a round 7 to flat 5 plug for mine. The fifth connector automatically disconnects the brakes when my truck's backup lights come on. Before I obtained the 7 to 5 plug, I used to need to move the pin.