Triton 220 Escape / Ranger Reata 212

Looking to buy one of these boats. Anybody own one and have experience with how they handle rough water? Lake Lanier is ok in the morning but turns into a washing machine in the afternoon. Looking for a fish n ski that doesn’t beat me up.

I owned a 2017 220 escape with a 250 g2. It was a great boat and handled rough water well. It would chew through the rough stuff on Champlain well but you had to drive it. I had the L shaped couch option instead of the captains chairs, it was great while sitting still. With 3-4 other people on the boat you had to arrange the weight so you wouldn’t lean to the port side while cruising. I loved that boat, hated the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by bangbang View Post
    I owned a 2017 220 escape with a 250 g2. It was a great boat and handled rough water well. It would chew through the rough stuff on Champlain well but you had to drive it. I had the L shaped couch option instead of the captains chairs, it was great while sitting still. With 3-4 other people on the boat you had to arrange the weight so you wouldn’t lean to the port side while cruising. I loved that boat, hated the engine.
    I definitely like the L shape seating on the Triton and didn’t think about all the weight on one side while running. Glad it does well in rough water. How was the fit and finish on the boat? Anything to watch out for? I had two Skeeter Sl 210’s and they were great boats but I need something bigger for rough water lol.

4. Member
    I have a 2019 Ranger 212LS with a Mercury 250 ProXS. Live in SE Michigan and run Lake St Clair which is similar to your description of Lake Lanier, we get on the water early because by late morning the pleasure boaters come out and it can get crazy. It handles the rough water nicely and keeps you dry while doing it, we are very pleased with the boat.

5. Member
    I am running a Triton Allure 186 F-s Merc 150 4 strok. Awesome boat for us. did look at a Triton 220 escape but would not fit in my garage...

The fit and finish of the 220 was ok, i wasn’t expecting the amount of plastic they used in the consoles. Where the factory installed the console finder was very thin plastic. I removed the finder and put a plate over the hole. Other than that is was a great layout and had tons of storage. Too much storage

Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    I have a 2019 Ranger 212LS with a Mercury 250 ProXS. Live in SE Michigan and run Lake St Clair which is similar to your description of Lake Lanier, we get on the water early because by late morning the pleasure boaters come out and it can get crazy. It handles the rough water nicely and keeps you dry while doing it, we are very pleased with the boat.
    Good to know. I think the extra 1’ in length and the deeper V will help the ride a little bit compared to the Skeeter SL210 I had.

8. Member
    Here is a link to some pictures of our boat...
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/095HbvM

Last year we ran 2 HELIX 10's up front and 1 HELIX 10 at the console. This year we upgraded from 360 to the MEGA360 so I upgraded a bow unit and moved a unit to the console so we have dual units at both the bow and console now. The plates and brackets for the HELIX units are all custom made by me. The trolling motor is an Ultrex 112lb with a 60" shaft I believe but I'd have to double check that. We have dual 12ft Talons, will be adding a R&R Design extended emergency ladder probably this weekend, that'll come off the Talon bracket.

Our thought behind the 212LS was it had a deeper V than a bass boat but not as deep as a multi species boat, so it would handle the rougher water we planned to be in and also get in shallow enough. It had more seating when we bring people out and a ski pylon for some more water fun. It's just my wife and I with two dogs, no kids, we are happy with our choice.
    Last edited by gary_fritz; 06-03-2020 at 02:27 PM.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    Here is a link to some pictures of our boat...
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/095HbvM

Last year we ran 2 HELIX 10's up front and 1 HELIX 10 at the console. This year we upgraded from 360 to the MEGA360 so I upgraded a bow unit and moved a unit to the console so we have dual units at both the bow and console now. The plates and brackets for the HELIX units are all custom made by me. The trolling motor is an Ultrex 112lb with a 60" shaft I believe but I'd have to double check that. We have dual 12ft Talons, will be adding a R&R Design extended emergency ladder probably this weekend, that'll come off the Talon bracket.

Our thought behind the 212LS was it had a deeper V than a bass boat but not as deep as a multi species boat, so it would handle the rougher water we planned to be in and also get in shallow enough. It had more seating when we bring people out and a ski pylon for some more water fun. It's just my wife and I with two dogs, no kids, we are happy with our choice.
    Very sharp looking boat

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YELOSUB View Post
    Very sharp looking boat
    Thank you
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

Also looking at Stratos 290 and Champion 214 if anybody sees one for sale, hit me up. I didn’t think I would have this hard of a time finding a boat. As soon as a boat is listed it seems I’m usually five minutes too late / sold!!