Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does your electronics help you catch fish?

I am 68 and have used some sort of electronics on my boats for more years than I care to think about. I run a helix 10 at the console and an 859ci in the front. In all the years of using my electronics I honestly can say I have never seen fish on my units and recognized them as bass and then proceeded to catch them. I use the mapping function the most and the depth function as for locating weeds and such. Electronics are great for mapping and finding structure but for locating and catching bass it just doesn't happen for me. I wish I could have someone teach me if they really do help. I see tons of fish but there are so many species of fish that you just don't know what you are throwing at. Just want to hear others honest opinions.

2. Member
    I think it depends on what kind of fishing you like to do. I caught alot of fish out of my “basic” bass tracker beating the bank over the last 5 years. As I found myself wanting to fish deeper structure on bigger lakes I decided to upgrade to a 20 foot glass boat. Then this winter I upgraded to an ultrex with spot lock and mega 360. I doubt I catch more or bigger fish than i did with the other boat but it does help me with the type of fishing I prefer to do.

3. Dogfish_Jones
    It does for me. I do not spend wasted time casting at nothing.

4. Member
    Absolutely! I’d be lost without my Hummin Birds!

5. Member
    Nope not at all there good 4 gps at night and for marking trails and channels as far as catching fish spots are programmed in my brain and requires technique and experience over last 30 yrs

6. Member
    Livescope definitely helps, not only with fish that you see, but even more so with finding weedlines and other targets to cast to.

7. Member
    I believe so, if you don't think the electronics help shut them off on a new lake and report back. In my opinion.

8. Member
    No doubt about it. If not, you aren't using them to their potential. With that said- there are those days when the fish are just tight lipped.

9. Member
    I used to only use my graphs for structure and depth only. I couple years ago I happen to look at my graph while throwing a cast net for shrimp on the river. I watch my net close up and could tell it was full of shrimp by color change. Game changer!!!

you tube has good videos for setting up and using these new units. BBC has Sponcer that have hands on lessons too. I think with few lessons you will learn to use and love this new technology.

good luck

10. Member
    Definitely yes even at 70

They definitely help. With that said, I've made super accurate maps (With Reef Master) of most of the lakes around me and there are many times when I can shut the sonar off completely and fish an area by strictly using only the maps. That definitely helps catch more fish too. It's the "Quite Approach".
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

12. Member
    I sold my last boat ~30 years ago. I had a Hummingbird "flasher" that basically told you the depth. I used it back then to find drop offs, points, creek beds ect. I bought a new boat a couple weeks ago. I'm still new to this modern electronics stuff, but they definitely helped me today. (Lowrance Elite7 TI2). I've never had much luck during winter, but I caught a bunch of 2 to 4 pound bass today by fishing schools of shad. (at least that's what I think I saw on the display).

13. Member
    Yes they do in finding structure and 'Hot Spots' on unknown or new lakes. Debating spending the $$$$ to get the Active Target...........

depends on what you consider help? the mapping functions help me on new lakes or lakes I have not been to in a while but other than that Im fishing in 1-3 feet of water 80% of the time so I dont think they help much in that

15. Member
    Maps and showing my route fishing deeper water in the fall. Not much else.
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

16. Member
    I was a guide for 35 years on the upper Mississippi river. When I was young the only depth finder I had was my fishing pole. The first time i used a side imige unit (during a January thaw) I saw fish ripping into shad 15 feet down in 20 feet of water. Adjusted my location and depth for this school of shad and limited out on walleyes while other anglers were fishing the bottom.( not catching many) Also used this side image in extremely shallow water. Was motoring slowly along in a 5 foot cut and noticed a school of fish on the side image across a sand bar that was less than a foot deep. Went around the sand bar and cast to the school. Caught over 20 bass in what was two feet of water on the other side of the shallow sand bar. I am sold on electronics. I still use all the other god-given senses to fish but use electronics to find hidden gems that most people go by.

Yes, all 15k of it!

18. Member
    Not as much as it should but that is my fault for not knowing how to get the most out of it. I basically have a 3 grand depth finder.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Not as much as it should but that is my fault for not knowing how to get the most out of it. I basically have a 3 grand depth finder.
    And maps. lol
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166

Needed to be dropshotting at 60 ft.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast