98 o66 reed valve replacement issue.

Replace the reeds in my 98 vmax 3.1 200hp with Chris Carlson reeds, first start up could tell right away something was wrong. Idle was off, engine would die when put in gear, seems to being getting to much gas and flooding out. Is there a step I've missed or something I needed to adjust but didn't? LP pumps are good, all filters are good, compression good, throttle position within specs.

2. Member
    Call Chris and have him walk you through it. He is eager to help.

3. Member
    Having just gone though this with my 99 P200TLRX, I can relate man. I worked on my own trucks back in the day and still do to some extent. We always used RTV gasket sealer on the intake and valve cover, oil pan, water pumps etc... . Not so sure about the marine crowd opinion on that, but I did when I reinstalled the reed blocks and stuffers. On the gasket surface where it did not have a seal ring of rubber, I added a light coat of RTV blue. My worry was not getting a good seal and getting a vacuum leak, which may cause a rich running condition or non ignition. From what I can tell, my install went great. I can't think of any way to get the reed install incorrect. The blocks only fit one way. If the reeds themselves were flush when you installed them, there really is not anything else to do. IMO. Like Wtallhunter57 said, Chris seems really cool and knowledgable.