Minn Kota Edge 12V 5 Speed

Just bought this boat and trying to figure out the wiring issues. Minn Kota Edge 12V, 5 Speed T/Motor, it has 3 wires, BLK, RED, ORG., where the ORG wire go ?

Thank you
    Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

S.W. Ohio

2. Member
    Sounds like a really old MinnKota and is wired for 12/24. The black will be ground, the red will be positive, and the orange will be positive. One will run the 12V side and one will run the 24V side. I should have a 12/24 switch at the back of the base of the footpedal, molded into a "tail" on the base.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Sounds like a really old MinnKota and is wired for 12/24. The black will be ground, the red will be positive, and the orange will be positive. One will run the 12V side and one will run the 24V side. I should have a 12/24 switch at the back of the base of the footpedal, molded into a "tail" on the base.
    John
    Hi John,
    I didn't see a switch as you had mentioned, but maybe this will help............The tilt the frame bolted down on the bow has "ALL TERRAIN" on it but the motor/cable head has "EDGE 45 12 Volt" written on it and not 12/24V. Any other ideas to figure out what I've got ? Here are a few pics of T/M Head & Bow Mount.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KW1srKDDG4jEDJ3q6

Thank you,
    Gary
    Last edited by Nikon Man; 05-30-2020 at 05:18 AM.
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Does the motor itself have 3 wires, or is that just the boat side?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Does the motor itself have 3 wires, or is that just the boat side?
    Looking at the wiring at the INPUT/OUTPUT of pedal, colors visible are:

RED
    BLACK
    YELLOW
    WHITE
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

On the TM PLUG, how many wires are there ? You'll have to take the plug apart. IN the Battery compartment, how many batteries are there ? If you could post a pic of the TM peddle and of the plug and of the batteries also, would greatly help. I'm thinking that at one time a 12/24v was in there and it's been replaced with a straight 12v.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    On the TM PLUG, how many wires are there ? You'll have to take the plug apart. IN the Battery compartment, how many batteries are there ? If you could post a pic of the TM peddle and of the plug and of the batteries also, would greatly help. I'm thinking that at one time a 12/24v was in there and it's been replaced with a straight 12v.
    On the round battery harness/receptacle in the bow, 3 pins/wires, RED-BLACK-ORANGE
    Batteries in compartment: 3, 1 starting & 2 trolling
    Power Plug from foot control to bow has 4 female pin holes, all having brass inserts in each hole (it's a molded one piece plug, I'd prefer not to cut it if at all possible). The vinyl covering is pliable enough and it feels like 3 wires in the power plug cable.
    Pedal has left side bottom 3 position switch ON-OFF CONSTANT

PICS:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bmShWYcbNAbL8FCs8
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Man View Post
    On the round battery harness/receptacle in the bow, 3 pins/wires, RED-BLACK-ORANGE
    Batteries in compartment: 3, 1 starting & 2 trolling
    Power Plug from foot control to bow has 4 female pin holes, all having brass inserts in each hole (it's a molded one piece plug, I'd prefer not to cut it if at all possible). The vinyl covering is pliable enough and it feels like 3 wires in the power plug cable.
    Pedal has left side bottom 3 position switch ON-OFF CONSTANT

PICS:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/bmShWYcbNAbL8FCs8
    First thing is to replace that plug and receptical !! There is so much corrosion that you will not get good voltage. Still need to see how the batteries are connected in the battery compartment. Also, is there a breaker connected from the POS + on one battery to one side of it and then the other side going to the bow. ALSO, where is the ORANGE wire connected ?
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    First thing is to replace that plug and receptical !! There is so much corrosion that you will not get good voltage. Still need to see how the batteries are connected in the battery compartment. Also, is there a breaker connected from the POS + on one battery to one side of it and then the other side going to the bow. ALSO, where is the ORANGE wire connected ?
    Plug and receptical parts on order. Batteries were not connected when I bought the boat. here's the current wiring based on the motor rated at 12V.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KdtzzY5HrnbPnvry8
    Gary

S.W. Ohio

It appears that the boat was wired for a 12/24 volt TM at one time. This was accomplished with 2 trolling motor batteries and one battery for the big motor. The two TM batteries were wired in series with the pos TM lead on battery one, and the negative TM lead on battery two. There was a jumper from the negative terminal on battery 1 to the positive terminal on battery 2. This provides 24 volts from the red to black TM leads. The orange wire was hooked to the positive terminal on battery 2 providing 12 volts from the orange to black wire. There was a switch on the side of the foot pedal that switched from 12 to 24 volts.
    Apparently the 12/24 volt motor was replaced with a 12 volt only. Battery 1 was removed and battery 2 and 3 were wired in parallel to provide 12 volts from the red to black TM leads.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

11. Member
    In looking at the first picture of the wiring, second picture confirms it, you are wired in parallel with the two batteries, and have the trolling motor coming off of one battery which is 12V, with the second battery being used to give additional running time. The orange wire you show in the pic is for a 12/24 setup, which there is no 12/24V trolling motors any longer. I would leave the orange wire just like it is, since I'm pretty sure your trolling motor is a 12V trolling motor. If you have some corrosion in the plugs, they should be changed out which you state you are doing.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    In looking at the first picture of the wiring, second picture confirms it, you are wired in parallel with the two batteries, and have the trolling motor coming off of one battery which is 12V, with the second battery being used to give additional running time. The orange wire you show in the pic is for a 12/24 setup, which there is no 12/24V trolling motors any longer. I would leave the orange wire just like it is, since I'm pretty sure your trolling motor is a 12V trolling motor. If you have some corrosion in the plugs, they should be changed out which you state you are doing.
    John
    Yep, that's it !! One question tho.............Is that a Circuit Breaker on the POS lead from the Battery to the TM ? If not, you would need to install one !
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms