225 Mariner Super Magnum? Opinions?

Found a seemingly good deal on a Champion 201 with a 225 Marriner Super Magnum. Is it the same thing as a Pro Max? Are there any known issues?

Super Magnums and Pro Maxs are the same motor, just different branding. A 3.0 liter would be better for that Champion hull. Good motors, but for lighter weight hulls for the most part.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

3. Member
    Oh, I assumed it was a 3.0 being a 225hp. It's a 2.5?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably so- if you can get the serial number, that will tell the story.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I haven't been close enough to get the serial#, It's a 1996. Here's a pic. I'm guessing 3.0.
    super mag.jpg

6. Member
    That is definitely a 2.5 in the picture.

225 Super Magnums are 2.5 motors.

225 EFI motors are 3.0.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely a 2.5L (and essentially the same as the 225 ProMax).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks everyone. Picked it up today, the boat is in meh condition but the motor is great cosmetically and mechanically. I’m probably gonna sell the hull and hang the motor on my old BCB P2. Yeah I know it’s only rated for 200, calm your tits lol. Me and my fishing partner weigh 600 pounds combined. Hoping to finally hit 75mph. Cheers!

10. Member
    not gonna like that CLE gearcase , GOTTA run real high for it to benefit or it will slow it down, report back with results
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................