Thread: Tides

Tides

Gentlemen, I’m new the this board and new to the Chesapeake. I was stationed on the NY Canadian border for the last 8 years and fishing northern lakes. Me and my son 11 fishing the upper Chesapeake for the first time today. Put in at Turners at the sassafras. This was my first experience with Tidal water. I’ve been reading everything on this board and other info on the Chesapeake but we were definitely overwhelmed today. We must of boated 8 catfish today on spinnerbaits and drop shot. Not one bass. I’m not a tournament guy and would never ask about fishing spots. But can someone explain the tides? When do I want to fish? Shallow deeper on certain tide? Did I waste my time going all the way back into Turners and Lloyd’s? And info would be much Appreciative. Since I don’t fish tournaments and can only get 2x a month I’d get like to have a better understanding what the hell I’m doing. Definitely not as easy as northern lakes. Thx

2. Member
    The Sass is a great fishery, I would tell you to spend alot of time on the lower tides, the fish funnel to areas to feed.Find some of these areas and build from there. Docks, trees and pads near deeper water.Good luck

3. Member
    Thx for info. Went back out Friday evening . Caught couple on top water at lower tide.

4. Scraps
    Right now, I'd just go into the Northeast, easy to navigate out of Anchor Marine, and throw worms, cranks, spinnerbaits and chatterbaits around docks. Next step would be to learn how to get out on the flats, learn how to navigate between the Northeast and Havre de Grace.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker911 View Post
    Thx for info. Went back out Friday evening . Caught couple on top water at lower tide.
    The Top Water Bite has Started
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    How long of a ride isn’t from Anchor to the flats? Thx

5 minutes or a bit more depending on the speed of your boat, how fast you wanna drive and how fast the waves allow you to drive.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

8. Member
    Low tide is your best times for getting bit. If you find grass that is the primary cover for many of the fish down there its like a magnet. When the tide is dropping and there are laydowns on the bank the bass will move out further and further on the structure as the tide drops and if the laydown is completely exposed they will look for the first piece of cover that is still in the water or the first drop off the bank. Drop shots are good baits for getting bit and will put some big fish in the boat but you can get more aggressive with your bait choices as will with 3/8 to 1/2 jigs and creature baits. There are a some big fish out there so you could be setting the hook on a 2lber or a 7. If your gonna fish the grass flat out in the middle and your new to it and don't have experience just look out and see where the majority of boats are and look for the bent rod pattern. You can be in a group of 30 boats and still catch fish when they are in the grass