Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Great picture!
    Dawnpatrol.
    Goin Fishing be home for Hunting Season !!!!!!!!!

I thought that the article failed to emphasize the degree to which the lack of consumer confidence played in the downfall. OMC bankruptcy was due to the failure of Ficht and the refusal of the company to recognize that failure and deal with customer’s problems. Buying a failed company and continuing with the technology that caused their problem, despite how good that technology might be, kind of puts you behind the 8 ball out of the gate. When Ficht failed and received all of the negative publicity on social media, consumers moved to other brands and were reluctant to ever go back. The article also failed to emphasize the public failure of BRP products at the Classic...the worst possible press for their product in the bass fishing world.

OMC was a great company, until George Soros bought it...yes, THAT George Soros. I was sponsored by OMC back before Ficht. My sales rep told me that he was at the meeting where Soros addressed all of the top management and sales staff. He said,”I don’t know anything about making outboard motors. But, I know everything about making money.” Then, he proceeded to completely drive the company into the ground and into bankruptcy.
    Half the world's problems are caused by people not doing their jobs and the other half are caused by people minding someone else's business.

3. Member
    That was a great read and video.

BRP may not be exiting outboards, the release only mentions the G2 engine platform. They mention focusing on two fresh engine platform projects which they feel will revolutionize the marine landscape. We don’t have any insight nor do the rest of us. It appears to us they may still produce some of the other engine platforms as the recognized job impacts are around 600 jobs, which would include sales, production and service technicians for the company. It’s time someone got the true position on other unmentioned products and cleared the air.

There is a long story to the situation regarding OMC and the Classic engine failures going back to North Carolina and FICHT in ‘94-‘95. The failure rate was tremendous and it was kept very quiet in ‘94. That was the OMC prior to George Sorros. There was a superfund cleanup of the old facility in Waukegan and so many things upside down to discuss.

The company was in demise before George Sorros and he was joined in to purchase the company after it failed with David Jones, who was formerly with Mercury (retired). David started rebuilding and they had hopes of selling Detroit Diesel the FICHT technology, which does work and would eliminate the need for urea systems to clean Diesel engine exhaust. Roger Penske Sold Detroit Diesel and the new ownership took a different route. Sorros, Greentree Finance we believe, then on the knowledge of the environmental challenges and the change in the ability of licensing the FICHT system To Detroit, shut it all down and bankrupted it. David Jones was the largest victim of George Sorros financial management. At that time they’re were not producing engines and that moved very fast to the point BRP swooped in. They the moved everything out of the older facilities and built a “state of the art” production facility in Beloit, WI.

The rest of this story is still been written and this is a set of very short notes to let everyone know a short story. There is some factual information on the OMC and BRP story on the Internet, though even many of those writers are gone now some 20-25 years later.

BCB

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    BRP may not be exiting outboards, the release only mentions the G2 engine platform. They mention focusing on two fresh engine platform projects which they feel will revolutionize the marine landscape. We don’t have any insight nor do the rest of us. It appears to us they may still produce some of the other engine platforms as the recognized job impacts are around 600 jobs, which would include sales, production and service technicians for the company. It’s time someone got the true position on other unmentioned products and cleared the air.

There is a long story to the situation regarding OMC and the Classic engine failures going back to North Carolina and FICHT in ‘94-‘95. The failure rate was tremendous and it was kept very quiet in ‘94. That was the OMC prior to George Sorros. There was a superfund cleanup of the old facility in Waukegan and so many things upside down to discuss.

The company was in demise before George Sorros and he was joined in to purchase the company after it failed with David Jones, who was formerly with Mercury (retired). David started rebuilding and they had hopes of selling Detroit Diesel the FICHT technology, which does work and would eliminate the need for urea systems to clean Diesel engine exhaust. Roger Penske Sold Detroit Diesel and the new ownership took a different route. Sorros, Greentree Finance we believe, then on the knowledge of the environmental challenges and the change in the ability of licensing the FICHT system To Detroit, shut it all down and bankrupted it. David Jones was the largest victim of George Sorros financial management. At that time they’re were not producing engines and that moved very fast to the point BRP swooped in. They the moved everything out of the older facilities and built a “state of the art” production facility in Beloit, WI.

The rest of this story is still been written and this is a set of very short notes to let everyone know a short story. There is some factual information on the OMC and BRP story on the Internet, though even many of those writers are gone now some 20-25 years later.

BCB
    Thanks to BCB for some good factual information. I remember the days when Johnson/Evinrude (OMC) was just as strong as Mercury and the Japanese outboards had not yet penetrated our market. Chrysler was still in the game too and they became the first one to drop out. OMC seemed pretty healthy until they introduced the first "Ficht" technology motors - that turned out to be a disaster with a high failure rate and a tremendous number of warranty claims. The E-Tec system was a lot better, but by then both the dealers and consumers had lost a lot of confidence in the Evinrude brand, and companies like Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki were all making a stronger play in the market. I have spoken to a number of people who run E-Tec or the newer G2's and they love them, but Evinrude was beating a dead horse trying to revive their business against the wave of 4-stroke outboards. It's hard to win back your customers once your brand is tarnished and there have been rumors of this coming for some time. It's a shame to see things like this, but BCB is correct that the parent company is working on some all-new engine technologies that could be the next big thing.

6. Member
    Thanks for sharing that link, good discussion. OMC going away reminds me a lot of Sears going away, it almost seems impossible with their name. Regardless if you love or hate them, I hate to see good competition go by the wayside, bad for the consumer.

7. Member
    Evinrude started in Milwaukee. They had two plants there that were closed. BRP built a state of art plant in Sturtevant Wisconsin which employed 650 people building the ETec engines. Both my brother and I own one and they have been flawless.

I live close to the Mercury plant and know people who work there. I remember when they built their plant in China, I was shooting league archery with one of their engineers. To say they were having problems with those Chinese engines would be an understatement.

People should look up BPR’s financial performance and they would understand why they closed Evinrude. They are a company with several division, so someone had to go. I just wish it wasn’t Evinrude.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin08 View Post
    Evinrude started in Milwaukee. They had two plants there that were closed. BRP built a state of art plant in Sturtevant Wisconsin which employed 650 people building the ETec engines. Both my brother and I own one and they have been flawless.

I live close to the Mercury plant and know people who work there. I remember when they built their plant in China, I was shooting league archery with one of their engineers. To say they were having problems with those Chinese engines would be an understatement.

People should look up BPR’s financial performance and they would understand why they closed Evinrude. They are a company with several division, so someone had to go. I just wish it wasn’t Evinrude.
    Interesting, but did I see the other day where Evinrude only had like 3% of the motor market? They had to do something to instill confidence, the 10-year warranty was a good start. Maybe the 90's Fichts were just too much to overcome, you know the old saying, it's much easier to keep the customers you have rather than try and find new ones. I would like to see a percentage number for the customers they actually lost during the Ficht years. Was it more than 50%?

9. Member
    I'm a relatively new boat owner. How bad were the Fichts? Were they really that bad to indirectly cause the demise of the company? (Or at least the outboard section of it). Domestic car brands had a ton of issues in the past but they are still kicking.
    Falcon 195 + Suzuki DF200SS
    Ultrex 112
    Helix 10 Mega DI+ (Bow)
    Helix 10 HW Mega SI (Console)
    Helis 10 DI GPS (Console)

10. Member
    the bottom line is if foriegn outboard motors an cars hadnt been introduced to our country when your truck got 70000 miles on it you parked it because it was worn out . the brp deal has never made money an like the other times before it will be sold for pennies on the dollar. when you give folks 10 year warranty on an outboard an still cant get 10% of the us market you are hurting.

11. Member
    I own a G2, am I pissed they pulled the plug like this yup. But hey that's just life. Will run and enjoy my G2 and repower when needed. Might have to put black on the back in the future but not today it's a time to fish...
    Risen From The Ashes!!

12. Member
    I think your last paragraph sums it up, for a LOT of businesses

Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    I'm a relatively new boat owner. How bad were the Fichts? Were they really that bad to indirectly cause the demise of the company? (Or at least the outboard section of it). Domestic car brands had a ton of issues in the past but they are still kicking.
    The FICHT was bad, but it was more how the company dealt with warranty issues. They essentially sold the company and gave a big middle finger to owners with motors under warranty. A guy could have a 2 month old motor that he could not get worked on under warranty. Lots of folks swore off Evinrude after that fiasco.
    Aaron Campbell
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    The FICHT was bad, but it was more how the company dealt with warranty issues. They essentially sold the company and gave a big middle finger to owners with motors under warranty. A guy could have a 2 month old motor that he could not get worked on under warranty. Lots of folks swore off Evinrude after that fiasco.
    When I bought my Ranger with the Evinrude on it they gave me a 3 year warranty as an incentive to buy it. It wasn't a Fight but they had bought the rig back under a lemon law provision. They had rebuilt it twice and this time they replaced the powerhead fully dressed. Long and short, I had a warranty claim during the period and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. OMC went out, sold to BRP and BRP wouldn't honor the warranties.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919 View Post
    I own a G2, am I pissed they pulled the plug like this yup. But hey that's just life. Will run and enjoy my G2 and repower when needed. Might have to put black on the back in the future but not today it's a time to fish...
    +1

I plan on upgrading to another brand new rig 6-7 years from now and it'll have a Merc hanging on the back.

Depending on the state of Ranger's quality, etc in 6-7 years that new Merc might be hanging on the back of my new Vexus....

2018 Ranger Z520L | 2017 Platinum F250 | (2) Solix 15 Mega's w/360

16. Member
    That makes sense. People can understand engone issues but if company won't make it right....
    Ultrex 112
    Helix 10 Mega DI+ (Bow)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KYSkipper View Post
    When I bought my Ranger with the Evinrude on it they gave me a 3 year warranty as an incentive to buy it. It wasn't a Fight but they had bought the rig back under a lemon law provision. They had rebuilt it twice and this time they replaced the powerhead fully dressed. Long and short, I had a warranty claim during the period and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. OMC went out, sold to BRP and BRP wouldn't honor the warranties.
    That sounds a lot like what happened to my dealer. They got bought up by another dealership except for the liabilities. Any existing obligations were not met. Shitty situation that leaves the customer screwed.
    Ultrex 112
    Helix 10 Mega DI+ (Bow)

18. Member
    I remember the big block FICHT being good, I think it was the small block ones that were a problem. I had a 2000 year model 20SS Stratos with a 225 Ficht. It was good as was the 225 E Tec on my 2005 Trition. Hate to see a company go away. The employees are the ones who suffer.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakebouef5 View Post
    I was an Evinrude guy from the early years. Never burned one up, they just went. Yamaha started building outboards by taking an Evinrude and, copying it.
    Then why is Evinrude gone and Yamaha is thriving.....along with Mercury?
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP Bow
    Lowrance Hook 5 Console

20. Member
    Evinride / Johnson (OMC) made a huge gamble in the market during the 1080's-1990's … i.e. 2 strokes. They lost to a slow death.

The market went 4 strokes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast