Which ALX rod for lipless cranks??

I'm looking for a new trap rod, and I'm pretty much decided on ALX. I have never had my hands on any ALX rod to get a feel for their ratings compared to their feel in hand.

I'd like something between 7'4" and 7'8", that will comfortably handle 1/2-3/4oz lipless cranks. I've been looking at the Zolo Crank and Ikos Diver. I'm afraid the Zolo Crank will be underpowered with a 3/4oz bait, but I worry that the Diver may be too much for a 1/2oz (and I'd really like to stay around 7'6"). Anyone care to share their opinions?

2. Member
    I know it’s not in your length range, but I like the deputy or toadface in heavier grass or the dream for lighter grass.

3. Member
    I know you said ALX but I stumbled into a Daiwa BLX 7’4” MH round bend. I absolutely love the rod for traps and deep cranks. I’m gonna buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Landar View Post
    I know you said ALX but I stumbled into a Daiwa BLX 7’4” MH round bend. I absolutely love the rod for traps and deep cranks. I’m gonna buy another.
    Another vote for the BLX 74MHRB. It is incredibly versatile and just a great rod. I've been throwing the Megabass I-Jack on it a lot but I used it for vibrating jigs and spinner baits a lot this winter. Of course, it does a great job with lipless cranks too...

The ENOX LSB is definitely a good option if you want to jump to that line. It's also a very versatile rod, like a longer BMJ, and handles 1/2 to 3/4 lipless cranks very nicely.

5. Member
    I've been using the Toadface for 1/2oz - 3/4oz lipless cranks and think it does a great job. It's only 7'2" but you can contact ALX and have them make you a custom Toadface that's longer.

6. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems, based on your recommendations, that ALX rods run softer/slower tapers compared to others. I typically like a medium action rod with a moderate - moderate fast taper for this technique. All the rods that have have mentioned are MH and faster actions. Appreciate the info. Maybe I can find someone nearby, so I can handle some ALXs firsthand.

7. Member
    Call Alex at ALX. He will guide you in the right direction and deliver exactly what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Hawg View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems, based on your recommendations, that ALX rods run softer/slower tapers compared to others. I typically like a medium action rod with a moderate - moderate fast taper for this technique. All the rods that have have mentioned are MH and faster actions. Appreciate the info. Maybe I can find someone nearby, so I can handle some ALXs firsthand.
    Give us a shout Monday and I'll be happy to walk you thru some options! 866-628-5052

Alex

9. Member
    Appreciate that, Alex. I will get in touch next week. Thanks.

Where else can you get answers from the person that designed the rods

11. Member
    I always have a lipless crank tied on usually 1/2-5/8oz and I use the Buzz or Dream. Want to start throwing 3/4oz more and probably use my Deputy or Toadface.