2000 Optimax 225 TPI Replacement Issue

I was having some intermittent issues with the motor idling up. It never idled up extremely high but it would happen periodically in a day. I replaced the TPI and turned the ignition on and I get a beeping buzzer. Does the computer need to be reset when you replace the TPI?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and update your post with the REQUIRED info (serial number). Thank you!

No- the PCM reads the TPS position at key-up and memorizes it as IDLE. Throttle MUST be AT IDLE EVERY TIME for this reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry. I did not read that. Unfortunately, the serial number sticker on the engine tilt is no longer there. Is there another location inside the motor with the serial number?

Genuine Mercury Part ?
    Recheck the connector and sensor for pin damage
    Be sure you did not end up with 2 weather seals in the TPS connector not allowing it to fully seat, I have seen cases of when disconnecting the old sensor the seal stays on the connector and the sensor has one In the cavity, making it impossible to get it fully seated, I don't know if this would be applicable to yours, I do see this in the automotive field quite often
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Part number is Quicksilver 8M6005165. I did check the pins and connector and they appear fine. There was only one boot also.

6. Member
    Just a quick update. I put the old one back in and it does not beep. I was thinking maybe I knocked a ground loose removing the cowling but that is not the issue. I reinstalled the new one making sure the plug was firmly seated and it still beeps.

7. Member
    Your original TPI was likely NOT causing your issue.

Just to add a little more info on this as know Don, Savage and Joe are really busy right now as well as all the Merc techs are and there answer may some times be a little short
    Be absolutely sure the throttle lever on the motor has a sleight preload closing it at idle position, if you have hot foot start there and be sure the spring tension is correct and it has freed movement and foreign object have found there way in it causing it to not close complete, such as old plastic baits. Probably the number one cause of this

With motor running on muffs verify that there are no under cowl fuel leaks, then let it set for while checking for leaks when hot soaking, any fuel entry not controlled by the pcm will cause a fast idle, this would include fuel rails and its components as well. Meaning a fuel/air pressures test are in order as well as leakdown
    Pay particular attention to the vst and the sensor area in the lower front. In the last couple of years I am seeing/hearing of a lot of water in fuel sensor leaking causing this issue on early optimax motors, older than about 2005

TPS can be tested by the dealer, at what these parts cost today, in the end paying for diagnostics can be less expensive, Other than throttle linkage control and visible leaks this should be checked at the dealer as there are thousand of dollars of test equipment involved, (Scanner and Pressure gauge set)
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by Westmibass View Post
    Part number is Quicksilver 8M6005165. I did check the pins and connector and they appear fine. There was only one boot also.
    From a Mercury dealer or is this a E-Bay internet part. Lots of counterfeits out there, The first clue is the low price tags on them. Packaging can be deceiving, may appear to be authentic.
    Not likely to get a new unit out of the box from Mercury that is bad
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    Thank you. Yes. The part was ordered through a local Merc. dealer. I will try your suggestions and then may just drop it off at the dealer for a look. I was hoping for a quick fix and the dealer thought I was headed in the right direction from my description of the issue. I have to admit, I am not very mechanical but willing to try. I really appreciate your feedback!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's not impossible for you to have gotten a bad TPS. It does happen.

Did you also replace the lever and the cover at the same time (strongly recommend all three pieces be replaced)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    I have the same motor year 2000 as yours. I bought the new TPI Quicksilver 8M6005165, and it gave the beep. I found out it's the wrong part number. I then bought the part 8M6005905, and it worked perfectly without any beep. Both look the same. However, it lasted 2 yrs, and now I have the same issue with the TPI and need to get a new one.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevechumo View Post
    I have the same motor year 2000 as yours. I bought the new TPI Quicksilver 8M6005165, and it gave the beep. I found out it's the wrong part number. I then bought the part 8M6005905, and it worked perfectly without any beep. Both look the same. However, it lasted 2 yrs, and now I have the same issue with the TPI and need to get a new one.
    Some engines used TWO TPI's (One increasing voltage, one decreasing voltage). Since Mercury doesn't use "years"... this can cause confusion when multiple engines are referenced in the same thread.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Some engines used TWO TPI's (One increasing voltage, one decreasing voltage). Since Mercury doesn't use "years"... this can cause confusion when multiple engines are referenced in the same thread.
    Thank you for clarifying this.