300HP V8 Verado - Rev Limiter

Serial Number 2B646603.

I’m trying to figure out if I’m hitting the rev limiter on my motor. It sounds like it’s cutting out or cavitating right at 6,000rpms. These new non-aspirated V8 Verados are only rated up to 6,000rpms, but I’ve never had a motor whose rev limiter kicked in right at the top of the recommended band.

If the rev limiter activates does an alarm typically sound? I’m getting no alarms.

Does SmartCraft log/record it when the rev limiter kicks in? If so, how would I go about checking the SmartCraft system log to confirm that it is in fact my rev limiter and not just prop cavitation caused by other variables? I haven’t noticed any faults or alarms on the SmartCraft gauges either.
    Last edited by rpr; 05-28-2020 at 08:59 PM.
    2020 Triton 216 Fishunter
    Mercury V8 300 Verado (2B646603)

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    -Analog or Smartcraft Tachometer Readings????

-Alarm may NOT sound (often does not under first stage, especially)

-The PCM does log SOME Engine Overspeed/Guardian occurrences - the G3-2019 (Dealer) Computer Diagnostic System is needed to access the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I have the digital SmartCraft speedometer and tachometer.

For what it’s worth, Triton mistakenly hung a 1.85:1 geared Verado on this boat instead of a 1.75:1. I had to upsize the prop to a 24p Bravo FS. Other folks with this rig are running 21-22p Bravos with 1.75:1 geared Verado’s. I suppose my gearing/prop config could be creating more load on the motor which could be contributing to the rev limiter kicking in a bit sooner than others with 1.75:1 geared Verado’s are seeing. Larger prop = motor is seeing a proportionally higher load even with the higher gearing?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I don't think so. With the 5.44" gearcase and a higher pitch prop, the load should be sufficient to prevent "early" limiting of the engine RPM. LOW load is a key factor that is considered by the PCM Guardian Strategy (not so much "high" load).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Good to know, thanks.