Livewell wont fill all the way

I have a 2008 ranger z21 and the livewell fills to about the 4th whole on the divider. I have my overflow plugged and want to fill them all the way to the top but i cant get past a certain level. Also how long does it usually take to fill these? May be just me but i think they fill a little slow. Thanks

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    First thing I would check is the pumps. If one is n ot working or not working 100% the well will not fill. Even if you hear them both running doesn't mean they're working properly. When this happened to me the impeller on one pump disconnected from the shaft and wasn't pumping water. Second is the flapper and third would be a crack somewhere in the manifold.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

3. Member
    How would i see if both pumps are working properly? Just out new valve in so not a flapper unless theres another one

4. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Take the pumps out and turn them on, see if the are spinning. Take hold of each impeller and see if it solid to the shaft. You say you have a new flapper if so and the pumps are solid then I would suggest that you have a crack and a leak somewhere in the manifold. With boat n the water with that shelf removed in the rear compartment turn on the pumps and see if there are any leaks. Take a look at the bilge plumbing too for leaks. If there are no leaks I revert back to the pumps. Some other guys might chime in on this, I could be off base too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    No, Don, you aren’t off base. All of your suggestions are sound. And to see if both pumps are working properly, look in the livewell with the pumps turned on and the boat in the water. There should be a strong, equal stream coming out on both sides. Some models have a top spray on one side and a mid-level spray on the other side, which typically would be under the water level. Check the velocity of flow on that side as the well is filling; hard to tell how much water is coming in when the flow is submerged.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio