Boat Registration renewal

Just noticed it's about to expire this month. In the past they've always mailed me the new sticker after I paid the taxes. Does it have to be done a different way now?

2. Member
    No not anymore. Use to be you paid $30 every 3 years. They said Some people weren’t paying there property taxes yearly and had problems with selling boats with back property taxes. I know one person who bought a jet ski and got hung with the back taxes. Now you pay $10 yearly to receive new registration sticker.

3. Member
    Don't expect quick receipt of sticker either . I been waiting on titles , reg # and sticker since February . Not got them yet . I know COVID-19 slowed things down but still .

4. Member
    I went to DNR at the farmers market after purchasing a boat in March and had all my tags and stickers within a few days through March 2021. However, I just received tax bills for the motor, trailer, and vessel to in the mail pay taxes through March 2021... apparently the $450 I already paid was just exercise tax and some registration fees?? I even got stickers through 3/21 so I'm confused. But, I'm guessing you'll receive them in the mail or you can call 803-785-8217 for the treasurers office.

5. Member
    You have to pay sc (or in the state you live.) sales tax when purchasing a boat, motor, & trailer. Almost all In state marine dealers do this for you and is included in the bill of sale. If you purchase out of state it’s your responsibility to file and pay this sale tax. I thinks it’s up to $500 now. If you just purchase a motor you must pay like 7% or more sale tax on the total. If you sell a boat yourself you also have to file to have it removed from your name. County property taxes are paid in the rear and pro rated if you don’t own the boat for the full 12 months. Some states there sales tax is a % on the total purchase amount. Boats aren’t cheap and everyone has a hand out wanting there part.

6. Member
    Is registering your boat the same as a car if you moved to the state? I moved from NC and need to register my boat... Do you go to the county office first to pay taxes and then to the DNR or can you go straight to the DNR? Everything on the DNR website talks about purchasing a boat out of state, by not moving from out of state, unless i missed something... Thanks in advance

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DURASPANK View Post
    Just noticed it's about to expire this month. In the past they've always mailed me the new sticker after I paid the taxes. Does it have to be done a different way now?
    Go to greenvillecounty.org , or from a google search click "Pay your property taxes online". If you go to "other" and type in your last name you should be able to pay the tax on the boat and motor.

https://www.greenvillecounty.org/Tax...OnlineTax.aspx

tax.png
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djb750 View Post
    Go to greenvillecounty.org , or from a google search click "Pay your property taxes online". If you go to "other" and type in your last name you should be able to pay the tax on the boat and motor.

https://www.greenvillecounty.org/Tax...OnlineTax.aspx

tax.png
    Paid taxes first of the year. Thought sticker would come in mail around the month it expired but no. So far every time I''ve tried to renew online the web site gives me a error?crashes.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstate Gamecock View Post
    Don't expect quick receipt of sticker either . I been waiting on titles , reg # and sticker since February . Not got them yet . I know COVID-19 slowed things down but still .
    UPDATE : Stickers showed up in mail today . Only took 3 months to get them . Titles came last week .

10. Member
    You should call DNR office and ask them. I think you have to register it with dnr first and they will sent your county the information on property taxes.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RackNBass View Post
    You should call DNR office and ask them. I think you have to register it with dnr first and they will sent your county the information on property taxes.
    Thank you!

Basically boat taxes go to the county you live in. The DNR doesn't get that money.

Boats work just like cars now. You no longer pay the taxes in arrears. You pay your property tax, you get your sticker. Just like your car.

13. Member
    DNR doesn't get the money for property taxes but they list with the county you live in. They handle the sales taxes for sc dept of revenue. I had rounds with the sc dept of revenue for the last boat i bought out of state. Four years after I purchased and renewed my registration they sent me a nasty letter telling me I owe them sales tax with penalty fees for a motor I bought. The problem was I bought a new boat, motor, and trailer and lucky I still had all my paper work from when I sold my old boat, motor, and trailer out of state and the purchase of the new boat. The lady who worked for the dept of revenue wasn't the nicest person to talk with until I broke the news to her that I not only bought a motor but a boat and trailer also. When I told her I also had renewed my boat & motor registration and had all my paperwork from bill of sale and everything I sent to dnr in Columbia for my sales tax with info and when the check cleared the bank. They were going to turn me in to the credit bureau for not paying taxes and put a lien on me in 30 days if I didn't pay. I asked her why in the hell did it take 4 years. She told me dnr handles that and that they made a mistake and she needed a copy of my boat and motor registration. I called her every other day until they got it taken care of. I then informed her If they did put a lien & turn me in to the credit bureau that my attorney would be in contact. You still have to send DNR $10 yearly for your registration sticker because I just did mine in April.

I just sent in for new stickers and such. Its $5 for replacement stickers, $5 for replacement registration.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/Titlin...oatrenewal.pdf
    Sometimes I need my ATV when in my boat and sometimes I need my boat while riding my ATV.