1993 150 Johnson Nitro problems

I was referred here by a guy from Facebook, said a guy named championman May have some good advice. Anyways, as the title suggests I have a 1993 150 Johnson Nitro, just got the boat, the starboard side is overheating. It’s supposed to have a new water pump. I pulled the thermostat caps and neither head has thermostats, with both caps off I fired the motor up and water is flowing, And it does not overheat, but not flowing hard enough to come out of the cap area. If I put the port side cap back on, the starboard side stops flowing, with both caps on, the starboard side still doesn’t flow (basing that info on the fact it overheats again). I guess what I’m getting at is I know it’s a water flow issue, but why is the flow stopping with the opposite side cap installed. Thanks in advance, I do have a video of it all but not sure if it’s possible to post that here.

2. Member
    TJ150GLETG is the model number

G03307252 is the serial number

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sure post your video, as to your post, if you put the cap on the starboard side will it flow out of the port side Tstat housing?

4. Member
    If I install starboard cap the port side continues flowing. Here's a link to the video...

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Remove the tell tale and screw the hose in to it, turn on water and see how the flow is.
    Leave motor off

6. Member
    Ok. I tried that with the same results as when it’s running.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Install a complete OEM water pump kit #5001594 and start fresh. While you have the lower off stick your hose up the water intake pipe and turn the water on and flush out any possible debris.

8. Member
    Ok so I finally got around to putting an OEM water pump in, and that solved the water flow problem, motors running cool. Now when I take it to the river and run it 3/4 throttle or more I get an alarm and after the alarm sounds for 30 seconds or so, I lose a lot of power. I’ll take it to an idle wait 30 seconds and everything is good and the cycle repeats. When the alarm went off and I lost power I took the cowling off and check the head temp with a heat gun, and it was 130ish on both sides. I replaced the primer bulb as well thinking it was collapsing internally and that wasn’t the case. I’ll post a video of the alarm and losing power.

9. Member
    You can see at the end of the video when the RPMs drop, that’s not using the throttle.

I would say that horn is possibly due to the fuel vacuum switch in the front of the motor.

1995 60 degree fuel bracket.png

Item number 26 is the vacuum switch. disconnect wires to the switch, run a SHORT test and see if the horn goes away, if so you need to check the fuel system for restrictions.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    And there it is ,,,49.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    And there it is ,,,49.
    Have you forgot how to count? 70,000 is 2,049 posts from this one.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......