NMEA 2000 Power Question

I have been under the impression that the N2K network had to have a 120 ohm resistor at each end of the backbone. I thought my network had a Resistor at the end of the backbone extension cable running to the bilge. I was rearranging some wiring and discovered that the extension cable was hooked directly to my Point-1 without a resistor. I added a tee and resistor to the cable so it is Hooked up properly now but I am confused as to why it was working before.
    Can you Guys shed some light on this?

Also, do you think Lowrance will come out with a Bluetooth Point-1?

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    NMEA is an enigma. To work properly, it should be configured as you describe. It’s very possible you have a full network under your dash with 2 terminators and the extension cable is coming out the bottom of a T from there and then connecting to the Point 1. Having said all that, some people get the thing to work with some odd setups. To be safe, it’s a good idea to follow the industry standards as it sounds like you now have.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

In retrospect, I have had problems with directional accuracy and have had to recalibrate several times. I could see the group of tees under the dash with a resistor on one end and extension cable on the other. The extension cable connected to the Point-1 inside the rigging tube running to the transom so I could not see if a resistor was there. I did wonder how they got a tee and resistor inside the packed tube, well they didn’t.
    In the process of diagnosing the network, I ran across this document. It was helpful so I am passing it on.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching