Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I have had both the Atlas and the Bobs and my pick is the Bobs. The Atlas got loose in the slide area and the motor would bounce in rough water or a good chop. The Bobs does require a lot of grease and often for good operation but is as solid as a rock. My boat runs much better with it. I do not think I would buy another Atlas. Had it on a 2018 Eyra with a SHO I am currently running a 300R on a Eyra and having the same problems you guys are between top end and hole shot. Hope you guys don’t mind me jumping in on the post. I am one one the 3 that have a 300r on a Eyra so I follow you guys often. Thank you.
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clint21xd View Post
    My 2020 21RDC with 300r 1.75 and 30 BRV 5 PowerTech has a very good holeshot. About 5 seconds fully loaded with full gas and empty live wells. My motor is at 1.5" above pad and prop has no vents open. I am also able to run low 90s with same load.
    Clint, does your BRV5 actually have the pvs holes in it but just blocked off or is it a solid barrel with no holes cut out?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Clint, does your BRV5 actually have the pvs holes in it but just blocked off or is it a solid barrel with no holes cut out?
    After looking it doesn't have any PVS holes in it. Guess I was thinking about my Bravo. I've never needed to tune it on my boat so really didn't pay much attention.

One thing I think helped mine more than anything is I balanced my weight front to back instead of having most of my weight in the back. I have a video of my holeshot but don't know how to get it to post.

4. Member
    After looking it doesn't have any PVS holes in it. Guess I was thinking about my Bravo. I've never needed to tune it on my boat so really didn't pay much attention.

One thing I think helped mine more than anything is I balanced my weight front to back instead of having most of my weight in the back. I have a video of my holeshot but don't know how to get it to post.
    Wonder what powertech’s deal is. I have a brv5 28 that has 5 pvs holes and I bought it local from Lawrenceburg marine. I ordered a brv5 30 and it was drop shipped to me from powertech and it doesn’t have any holes. I had assumed it would have the holes since my 28 did. Not sure what they got going on but they told me to run it and if it didn’t work they would cut the holes to make it right. Honestly I prob don’t need the pvs holes anyways. I don’t want to pay for shipping twice when I was sorta mislead when I ordered it. I was just curious how yours was.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Wonder what powertech’s deal is. I have a brv5 28 that has 5 pvs holes and I bought it local from Lawrenceburg marine. I ordered a brv5 30 and it was drop shipped to me from powertech and it doesn’t have any holes. I had assumed it would have the holes since my 28 did. Not sure what they got going on but they told me to run it and if it didn’t work they would cut the holes to make it right. Honestly I prob don’t need the pvs holes anyways. I don’t want to pay for shipping twice when I was sorta mislead when I ordered it. I was just curious how yours was.
    I do like the way mine runs overall but with as sensitive to trim as it is I have to admit it is a little spooky running it wide open. I have talked to Josh at Steve's props and he said he has the fix for that happening so I'm letting him tweak on mine to see if he can. He told me he has fixed a couple of them and after they were able to get mid 90s. Guess we will see. You are not far from me at all if you'd like to meet up and try mine when I get it back.

6. Member

The weight front to back is a great point. I did go from (3) 29 series lead batts to with one 24v lithium for my troller (18lbs) so I lost a good 210 pounds in the rear, and that did made a big difference. But I also have (2) 10' power poles hanging off the back, so I still consider my boat ass heavy compared to the 2.5 280 days and no power poles. I carry my tackle and extra gear as far forward as I can, but it might not hurt to add a little weight way forward just to see what that does for the boat breaking over.

Elwood, glad to have you. Bewteen all of us we'll crack the codes on these 4 strokes. I'm interested in if this is a Bullet 4 stoke thing, or other boats are seeing the same thing. I don't view it as an "issue", I just think everything is so different it'll take a while to figure out what these motors really like.

I have several buddies with the new 250 for strokes, and they really like the motors, and they tell me they are not having "any issue", which I agree, they are not having any issues for what they are wanting from their set ups. If I was happy with 83 mph then I would be golden, awesome hole shot and runs out the back door to 83 mph. But same as you guys, our boats are capable of a lot more than low 80's so our expectations are higher and harder to achieve. By far this motor has the best hole shot of all the engines I have ran, and I believe it has the potential to run out as good or better than my 280 and do it with a much heavier load. Just have to keep experimenting.

7. Member
    Clint, does your brv5 28 have any flare on the end of the barrel? My prop guy took 3/16 off the flare of a 29 Bravo lab because I was getting pucker up loose on top end and way too much stern lift, after that it made it solid as a rock, like it was on rails, but then again I'm only able to run 1" above and no where near the RPM's I need to be at, so may not be a good reference point.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sowenssw View Post
    Clint, does your brv5 28 have any flare on the end of the barrel? My prop guy took 3/16 off the flare of a 29 Bravo lab because I was getting pucker up loose on top end and way too much stern lift, after that it made it solid as a rock, like it was on rails, but then again I'm only able to run 1" above and no where near the RPM's I need to be at, so may not be a good reference point.
    It does have some flare but not as much as my Bravo. I have sent it off to have some work done to hopefully make it even better so I will have to see if that was a mistake when I get it back. Don't think it will be, I've had good luck in the past on my previous Bullets with Josh's recommendations. By the way mine is a 30 pitch and I have been able to turn it to the limiter during cold weather but it is stiffer than my 32 Bravo FS.

9. Member
    I ran a 14" hydraulic on my 20XRD/250 ProXS for years. It ran great. Just be careful when you are playing with the jack plate. Things can get ugly in a hurry if you over trim running your motor high out of the water. I would turn the plate down on the dial for hole shot. I also ran a Bman foil on the gear case. After it was out of the hole I would bump the trim one time then start with the dial on the jack plate. If you will place your left foot flat on the floor while you are adjusting the jack plate you will feel a tap on the butt. It will fill like someone flipped you on your wallet. That is all you are going to have on that day for the conditions and the gear you are hauling. Trying something beyond that can get you hurt. I learned the scary way. Spun my boat at 89 mph. I was lucky, didn't get hurt and didn't do anything to the boat. It just sort of turned and started sliding. It takes very little trim when the motor is high. By very little I mean two bumps on the trim blinker was enough. Hope this helpls. Good luck and be careful.
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletTJ View Post
    I ran a 14" hydraulic on my 20XRD/250 ProXS for years. It ran great. Just be careful when you are playing with the jack plate. Things can get ugly in a hurry if you over trim running your motor high out of the water. I would turn the plate down on the dial for hole shot. I also ran a Bman foil on the gear case. After it was out of the hole I would bump the trim one time then start with the dial on the jack plate. If you will place your left foot flat on the floor while you are adjusting the jack plate you will feel a tap on the butt. It will fill like someone flipped you on your wallet. That is all you are going to have on that day for the conditions and the gear you are hauling. Trying something beyond that can get you hurt. I learned the scary way. Spun my boat at 89 mph. I was lucky, didn't get hurt and didn't do anything to the boat. It just sort of turned and started sliding. It takes very little trim when the motor is high. By very little I mean two bumps on the trim blinker was enough. Hope this helpls. Good luck and be careful.
    TJ, thank you for the words of caution, I prob would have got into trouble really quick had you not shared your experience, so Thank you again!! If you were to take a guess, when you took off to get on plane with the motor low, how low do you think you were?? 1" blow, even pad?

11. Member
    I ran the hydraulic jack plate for the first time this past weekend. I didn't try to air it out much, just getting the feel for it. When I installed it, I leveled the boat and cav plate and made marks on the jack plate at even pad, 1" above 1-1/2" above and 2" above so I would have some kind of reference until I figure this thing out.

I only tried a 30pt Bravo. I turned it 6100 at 1-1/2" above pad, ran 91.7, felt like I could of gained a few more rpm if I would of either came up with the motor or bumped another degree of trim but I didnt want to get into a bind right off the bat. Boat was very stable absolutely no issues. Started out with the motor 1/2" below pad and had no blow out at all, so it solved that problem, now I just have to work into it and try to get a few more mph and rpm.

It was slower coming out of the hole, not sure if I was starting out too low with the motor or if its the 14" set back vs the 12". It also moved the power pole mounts back on the jack plate about 3 inches further, so it may be due to the weight of the motor and power poles being back further, not sure at this point. I'm going to run it more this week, maybe I can figure out the sweet spot on how low to start out with the motor and not blow out.

12. Member
    That was some great slip numbers!!!!! I can get just over 87 out of mine but turning 6300. Congrats and it sounds like you have more!
    Elwood....Bass Cat Strong

2020 Bass Cat Eyra
    2020 Mercury 300R 4S (1E081080)
    Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!

13. Member
    Yes it is, figures around 8% which is excellent. For whatever reason this prob has always had very little slip. Everything else I tried was around 10% slip. I did try a 29 Bravo lab and it was less than 8%, but it wasn't for sale and it had others mods done to it, so prob could never clone another one like it.

My 250R has been flashed to 325hp, which pushes the max rpm to 6800, so still have some room to grow.

14. Member
    Well, I got a little more seat time in with the hydraulic and starting to feel pretty comfortable with it. It for sure solved my blow out issue. I tried a prototype 28 5 blade prop last night (resembles a brv 5) and ran 94.7 at 6600rpm, which is ~5% slip. This prop is insane as far as no slip. Going to have it tweaked a bit and try it again. Its a little lazy coming out of the hole so going to have PVS holes added.
    Last edited by sowenssw; 07-15-2020 at 12:06 PM.

15. Member
    Best hole shot with no water in the live well was about 1/2" above the pad. Good Luck
    BulletTJ
    Tim
    There is never a wrong time
    to do the right thing!

16. Member
    TJ, thank you for the response. Since the original post I've had some seat time with the jack plate and you are spot on, 1/2" above seems to be the sweet spot!! Thanks again!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12